• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 fluid fill bolt stripped. Now what?

Mooseoftoose

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pretty big problem. My 97's tranny started to whine recently in all gears. Im at school without the tools I usually have at home, so I bought a 15/16" socket to remove the fluid fill bolt to check the level. Since the bolt was so tight and just a little nub of it sticks out, the edges got rounded off pretty bad, and theres no way of removing it. Swapped the socket at advance auto for a wrench, that didnt work either. If I was home I could grind the bolt into a better shape, but no chance of that here. I was thinking maybe pop off the shifter and check the level and fill it up from the top? I have a week break from school, and would rather not drive 150 miles with a whining transmission if all it needs is more fluid.

Anyone know any other options?

I don't even bother using the fill plug on my AX15, its easier to pull the shifter and get a bottle in that way. I just pull the drain plug and refill thru the top the required amount of fluid. When my tranny was shifting poorly in cold weather and wasn't the easiest to shift, I swapped out to Penzoil Syncomesh. MUCH better shifting and feel, its yellow metal safe and works great.

I also fill through the shifter tower. I pull the fill plug just so I can be lazy about the amount I put in, though.

You should make absolutely sure you either use a true GL3 that isn't listed as GL5 as well, or specifically states that it is yellow metal compatible. I personally run Mobil-1 10W30 in my AX15 and have had no problems, though.

can you get a pipe wrench on it? I have no idea; my XJ is a slushomatic. And fortunately, the fill plug on the transfer case came right out (and it was a good thing too based on the color of the fluid inside!)

Well, I was thinking along the lines of use a pipe wrench to get it out so you can fill it, then at your leisure get a new proper fill plug... but whatever makes you happy :)

Back