• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ blowing fuse for instrument panel illumination

CASEY-R

NAXJA Forum User
Out of no where yesterday the Jeep blew the fuse for the instrument panel/heater control illumination. If I turn the dimmer all the way to the right it will not blow the fuse but as soon as I turn it to the left so that the lights will illuminate the fuse blows. I had the instrument cluster disconnected so I don't think that's the problem. I also changed the headlight switch and that didn't work. I ran a wire around the wire that goes from the fuse to the switch so I don't think that's the problem. I figure there's a short somewhere between the fuse and the instrument cluster or in the heater control lighting.
Am I missing something? I don't have a FSM but do have a Hayne's manual. I know I need to disconnect the heater control illumination which will be easy. Any other things I should look at?

Back