• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Need Door Lock for 89 XJ LTD

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
Hoping that someone can offer some advice on this. Some dink broke in to my two door 89 XJ LTD yesterday by sticking a screw driver (or something like that) into the driver's door lock and jamming it open. The lock is thrashed (as far as I can tell) and the IR remote won't open/lock the door any more either.

I suspect these parts are no longer available from a dealer and even if they are, probably too expensive. I could try some junk yards but even that option tends to be stupidly expensive in this area. I'll be scowering fleabay but does anyone know if aftermaket door lock hardware is available online somewhere.

I assume that locking parts, at least the 'key' parts are common for many vehicles of this vintage - does that make any sense?

Ideally, I'm looking for a replacement that could be keyed to my existing key. Thanks for any advice.

XJBucko

Last edited:
Note from DJ
Can you get the door open?

Some new parts
89XJ door lock parts
Team Cherokee
http://www.teamcherokee.com/Door_and_Related_Items/index.html
Door Lock Actuator Rod OEM Cherokee & Comanche 1984-1996 #55000781

Door Lock Cylinder Set Cherokee & Comanche 1984-1990 #8122874

Door Lock Handle To Latch Rod Front Door OEM Cherokee & Comanche 1984-1996
Drivers Part #55001955

Door Lock Latch Front OEM Cherokee & Comanche 1984-1996 Driver Side Part #55000767

Door Lock Rod Clip Set OEM Cherokee & Comanche 1984-2001 One Door Set #J4003672 & J4003673

Door Lock Solenoid Actuator OEM Cherokee & Comanche 1984-1996 #J3721501

Junk Yard search W-site
North America wide scrap yard search for parts
Go to www.car-part.com it's a North America wide scrap yard search

Select: 1989
Select: Jeep Cherokee (except Grand Cherokee)
Select: Canada
Enter your Postal code
Search
Then you will need to expand year search to 1988-1990

you can get a door lock at just about any autoparts store and have a locksmith set it to your current key. it's a simple job to change it as well. most likely the lock is jammed up against the rod preventing your keyless entry from working, i highly doubt anything besides the lock is damaged inside the door.

you got off easy, when they broke into mine they beat the screwdriver into the door itself and pried the entire lock out of it. totally destroyed the damn door around the lock cylinder.

Back