• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee main seal leak

Bertoch08

NAXJA Forum User
The main seal on my Cherokee appears to be leaking. Recently it has turned from a drip to a torrent. I am going to tear into it soon. However, about the same time it started to leak I hit the transmission support cross member on a rock. The cross member is slightly bent upward, maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.
It is a manual tranny with 4.0 inline 6. Does anyone know if it is possible that i may have a tranny leak, or related problem? If i replace the main seal but do not look for problems related to the slight displacement of the tranny, will I end up with other problems? Any thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about the crossmember mine has had a fist size 1/2" deep dent in it for 5 years :gee:

the rear main probably got worse because it finally wore away enough of the original seal to pour out. the rubber gets hard with age and starts to come apart. it's not too hard of a job, the worst part of it is cleaning the stock paper gasket off of the block.

The main seal may be leaking, but the majority of the leak appears to be from the front of the transmission. The drip is coming from the tranny, the oil is not the same color of viscosity as the engine oil. Whether or not it is related to the cross member damage, i seam to have a tranny leak. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Is it something easy to do when I am replacing the main seal?

Could be that the "whack" could have started a leak, not necessarily the bend, just the shock wave. On the other hand if there is a leak at the FRONT of the tranny and not the REAR of the engine it could be leaking slave cylinder especially if it's an internal slave. If it's hydraulic fluid, clutch...if it's gear oil...input shaft seal.

Oh, IMHO

Back