• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Ranger manual locking hub conversion (is it possible?)

PDXGraham

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have seen this topic a lot aroun here but there is no real answer.

here is the question/s

Can a set of manual locking hubs from a late 80's early 90's ford ranger be made to fit a XJ dana 30? i have everything off the ford from the u-joint outwatd.

how much modding is needed?

i have seen lots of people say that they are very similar to the warn hub design, all i wanna know is, is it a possability? has anyone tried/done this mod?

please keep your opinions about axel strength and all that jazz to yourself.

many thanks

I believe the problem you will run into is the spindles are custom for the XJ. Given how critical they are, I wouldnt try and just make your own without some mad skill..

if you can't find those, you're done..

I don't think you necessarily have to make your own spindle.

I would think you could just machine the inner lip that slips into the knuckle bore to get that slip fit and redrill for the 3 bolt XJ bolt pattern.

Someone on here did it using D44 or CJ D30 parts, I forget.

Dan Turner did it using some CJ D30 parts, and said it was not worth the effort.

Would the ranger's spindle have the proper depth too? Placement of the spindle is as important as mounting it. I seem to recall it would not work.

I have no idea, just saying you don't have to actually make a spindle if you can mod an existing one to work.

Understood, and I'm saying i don't think you can mod an existing one to work with that hub kit. :)

Back