• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Classic No Start

frankydatooth

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 Cherokee Classic that cranks, has spark, and has 49 psi at the fuel test port but won't start. I tested the injectors with a noid light and they tested fine. Also the distributor seems fine and appears to firing the correct cyclinder when at TDC. Any suggestions

Use the gas pedal as the starter turns. If the engine starts you have a bad battery or a wiring issue.

For 1996+ Jeeps, the OBD-II engine computer (ECU/PCM) re-boots, and the idle settings are deleted, when you: (1) let the battery run down by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) when the battery goes bad and needs replacing, (4) when the alternator in not properly charging the battery, (5) or when poor battery connections result in a voltage drop at the PCM or poor battery charging.

Your symptoms are: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably will stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal. The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of driving and the engine will start and idle normally.

Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace them as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body.

If the symptoms reoccur, you need to have your battery and/or the alternator load tested at a repair shop or auto parts store. This is usually a free service they offer to bring in potential customers. Even with low battery voltage, the engine will start, but the ECU can re-boot multiple times and a new battery may be required.

Cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC), regular tune-ups, and using fuel injector cleaner should be part of your routine preventative maintenance.

Check and then double-check the Crank Position Sensor.

My 1998 XJ Classic (4.0L, AW4, 242J) literally went from running perfect on the highway @ 70 MPH and instantly died and then went into no start.

It was all due to a CPS sensor failure and nothing else. I understand you are getting spark on TDC but the CPS might still be at fault.

If it has spark and fuel injector pulses, the CPS should be good.

How about the "quality" of the spark? You are looking for a strong, BLUE, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark, which may not be strong enough to start the engine. A faulty ignition coil is the primary suspect for a weak spark.

Test your coil. It can be tested for both primary and secondary resistances with both a meter and a manual!

Thanks for all the replies! After further testing we found weak spark was the problem, Replaced the ignition coil and it's been running good.

P.S. THANKS BIRCHLAKEXJ

Glad I could help. Quality of spark often overlooked.....good catch.

I wonder if there is a way to actually measure the spark quality? I guess one way would be spark gap, how far of a gap can the spark jump.

Back