• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 XJ is it OBD I or ODB II?

W00GYB00GY

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 Jeep XJ Country and I'm trying to figure out if its OBD I or OBD II.

I have gotten it scanned at Auto Zone and have had it scanned with a friends scanner it has the port at the bottom under the steering wheel but the main reason I'm asking is because I bought the Torque app for android to monitor my rpms, gas, speed, etc... and it won't read my jeep but will read my brothers 2006 Trailblazer.

So I'm just curious if it isn't reading it because its not an OBD II?

Anyone have any ideas?

2, do you have a Bluetooth adapter plugged into your jeeps port

1996 was when OBD2 became the industry standard. I recently purchased a BT elm adapter on amazon for less than 30$ works great.

You guys have any ideas? Could my ECU fuse be blown or something?

When I plug the blue tooth adapter into my ECU, the adapter light comes on...idk what to do.

Check all the fuses in the passenger kick well and the pdc along the passenger fender.. if all looks good and if you go to autozone and plug in a scanner and if it works your in good shape, might be a bad adapter you got.

I've had it scanned at Auto Zone and it working fine, and I've also had it scanned by a friend and it worked fine too...

I will check the fuses tomorrow, but if the adapter was bad why would it work perfectly fine on the 2006 Trailblazer?

if its picking up a scanner then the obdII port on your xj is working. I dont know what to say about that adapter you got. to my understanding the 96 is a bit of a bastard child when it comes to obdII

I've tried googling and came up with nothing, I checked all the fuses and they are all fine...

The adapter works fine on other cars just not my jeep...which is the main reason I bought the damn thing! haha

all motor vehicles were mandated to be OBD II compliant by 1/1/1996.

Remember that OBDII isn't necessarily the SAME thing from 96 to 2012 there are over 5 differenet ISO protocals (how each vehicle platform communicates via OBDII interface.) The standard is WHAT the communicate, where the ALDL is located (within a certain # of feet from the driver's floor), the size and shape of the ALDL, universal/generic codes, and certain data/DTC parameters and how/when they are set.

GM for example use SAE J1850 protocal for communication, Chrysler and many Europeans use ISO 9141. If it worked on one OBD II GM SUV and not your XJ it is likey that it is a software on your scanner/tool isn't ISO 9141 compliant. PM your seller or contact the store you got it and specifically ask if it works on your year make and model if it supposed to get another one and see if that takes care of it.

OBDII has been enhanced a number of times through years too. The inclusion of more monitors, data lists, Misfire monitors, and CAN networks.

I know this is an old thread, but for those looking to find out if their 96' is an OBD-I or OBD-2, you can check the mnfg date on the sticker on the drivers door. Mine was built 12-95 and has OBD-I. My OBD-II scanner won't work and it gives me OBD-I codes using the turn the key and count method. Just FYI

Unless your 96 is an early build and for some reason has OBD1, I can confirm that that exact bluetooth scanner and Torque should work fine.

96 XJ Sport.

I don't know my build date, but it is early enough that my 96 has the 95 fuse panel. My 96 is OBD2.

I use the same one, and I run a digital dashboard off to the side when I drive. I cracked the scanner open, and re-ran the power lead so that it draws off the accessories of the Jeep instead of the OBD2 port. That way it turns off when the Jeep is off. I use Torque as well.

Sometimes, I have to mess with the phone a bit to get it to sync up. Sometime disabling, then re-enabling the bluetooth on the phone helps. Sometimes I have to go into the bluetooth detected devices on the phone and tell it to forget the device, and then find it again.

I have also used 3 of these BAFX on the Jeep, and all of them worked. (I have one carry in my day bag (to help friends), I have one permanently wired in, and I gave one to a friend.

Btw, because the 96 xj is a very early OBD2, it doesn't have a ton of data pids available, but it has some good ones.
O2 sensors voltage, Fuel trims, vacuum psi, system voltage, coolant temperature, speed, rpm, open/closed loop indication, throttle position, etc.

Last edited:
I have also found that if I turn the bluetooth on my regular phone, before the digital dash (just another phone), that I have a hard time connecting the scanner to the digital dash phone. It is like my normal phone is trying to get it first, then when I turn off the bluetooth on my regular phone, and repair the digital dash phone, it works fine.

I have used a Nexus 4 (digital dash) and a Nexus 5 (my day to day phone), and a Nexus 7 Tablet (a while ago when I was first playing with it) and all worked.

Back