• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worth pulling and selling?

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
I have decided to sell my 98' Cherokee. I had 4.10 gears swapped into my axles (30 front 8.25 rear) and a Detroit Trutrac put in rear. I have access to a wrecked XJ with a D35 rear that I could pull for free. Do you guys think it is worth swapping the axles and selling mine with the 4.10s for some extra cash? Don't know if the fact that I have swapped gears will really add to the resale value. Jeep is in great shape cosmetically, and runs good if it matters to your opinion. Thanks

Unless you sell it to a wheeler it's not going to add to the resale value at all. Your plan is solid if the parts jeep is the same drivetrain and built after 96 so you can swap the driveshaft directly as well.

Remember you're going to need to put some money into it for new U-bolts (like 50 bucks) and brake fluid, plus bleeding the brakes. Still pretty easy and you could probably gain a few hundred selling a 4.10 29 spline 8.25 with a locker on CL.

4.10's and Trutracs would be my ideal setup... that's what I had in my CJ7.

It's too bad you're not closer to Northern California. I'd love to park your XJ next to mine in my driveway and swap axles.

Good luck! ;)

I understand the need for a little extra cash, but I'd keep the 4.10's. Seems like the perfect ratio to me. Good on highway, good off.

I understand the need for a little extra cash, but I'd keep the 4.10's. Seems like the perfect ratio to me. Good on highway, good off.

how's that going to help him when he's selling the jeep, though? ;)

When you pull the axles take the u-bolts/spring plates and all the hardware with them.Every nut and bolt. Then go home and install them.You'll find out they'll fit just fine and you'll have to bleed the brakes. You should be fine.Your drive line will work just find on the D35.
E-Brakes may not work, would have to look at that.I know on my swap everything bolted up just fine.Mine is a older jeep 89/90

When you pull the axles take the u-bolts/spring plates and all the hardware with them.Every nut and bolt. Then go home and install them.You'll find out they'll fit just fine and you'll have to bleed the brakes. You should be fine.Your drive line will work just find on the D35.
E-Brakes may not work, would have to look at that.I know on my swap everything bolted up just fine.Mine is a older jeep 89/90
8.25 vs d35 changes the driveline length something like 1". An 8.25 shaft will be too short, but you might get away with it.

95-down tcase output vs 96-up tcase output also changes driveline length, by several inches. IIRC the older ones are longer. A 92 shaft definitely won't fit a 98.

Back