• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse light upgrade

quackaddict86

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed my reverse lights arent the brightest. Has anyone ever used the led bulbs that replace the factory bulb? Ive been looking on the net and seen a wide variety on amazon. Also autozone carries some. What works best and what have your experiences been with the leds? Worth the couple of bucks? Thanks!

Wash the housings out while you have it apart, there's a suprising amount of crap that builds up, and dims the light

If you have a 96 or earlier you can add some license plate light surround (I think it's off an olds cutlass, but not sure - search the forums and you should find details no problem) that will give you another two bulbs and fits so well in the hatch that it looks almost factory.

If you have a 96 or earlier you can add some license plate light surround (I think it's off an olds cutlass, but not sure - search the forums and you should find details no problem) that will give you another two bulbs and fits so well in the hatch that it looks almost factory.
Not sure about the cutlass, but Olds Aurora lights are what you are probably thinking of. I think I have an extra set.

Not sure about the cutlass, but Olds Aurora lights are what you are probably thinking of. I think I have an extra set.
Pretty sure that is what I was thinking of.

29475230003_large.jpg

Cleaned/polished the housing, and used some SilverStar bulbs from work (ty hook ups!) and there was a noticable difference from the standard long lift bulbs in there. I then added a single Hella FF50 light to the corner wired directly to the backup lamps. I can see probably 50ft behind me in all conditions!

I don't think those would last very long with me at the wheel... :dunce:

Haha they're pretty stout, crushed them quite a few times.. Both are missing the glass and are cracked all to shit. And thats before they were mounted as reverse lights.. :D They went through two sets of tail lights in both of my wrecks, and i've landed on them a few times (dirt not rock, i doubt they'd hold up to rock)

And with them having no glass whatsover i went through some deep water crossing (you can see the water line on the rear bumper) makes me wonder about all those times i "couldnt touch the bulb" when im putting the lights in?

Back