• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding noise on driverside front...

DirtBound

NAXJA Forum User
i just picked up a 95 xj, 4x4, 4.0 with a 4.5in lift and 31's and im getting a really obnoxious grinding noise on the driverside coming from underneath somewhere... it is worst when driving in a straight line but if i turn or just put pressure to either way of the steering wheel while going straight the noise goes away... any info or directions as to what to be looking for would be great.

Lift the front off the ground and spin the tires by hand. Sounds like a beating to me. But could be a few other things also. Loose caliper, bad u-joint, loose rim, etc. Just toss it up in the air a little and give everything the good ole shake down.

without hearing it i'm just throwing out a piece of info, usually when the carrier bearings are going bad you can either trigger a noise or make it go away when turning as the carrier gets a side load put on it and the bearings shift slightly in the races. if it's not a wheel bearing I would pull the axles out and pop the front diff cover and carrier off and inspect the surface of the bearings and the races for pitting. the gear pattern on the d30 is set by shims behind the bearings to you can do this without fear of messing something up. Just make sure the caps go back on the correct sides facing the same way they came off and torque the bolts to 60 ft lbs

If you decide to tear into it I did a writeup when I replaced the seals on my d30 a couple years ago so you can see what you're getting yourself into.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=937821

without hearing it i'm just throwing out a piece of info, usually when the carrier bearings are going bad you can either trigger a noise or make it go away when turning as the carrier gets a side load put on it and the bearings shift slightly in the races. if it's not a wheel bearing I would pull the axles out and pop the front diff cover and carrier off and inspect the surface of the bearings and the races for pitting. the gear pattern on the d30 is set by shims behind the bearings to you can do this without fear of messing something up. Just make sure the caps go back on the correct sides facing the same way they came off and torque the bolts to 60 ft lbs

If you decide to tear into it I did a writeup when I replaced the seals on my d30 a couple years ago so you can see what you're getting yourself into.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=937821

Great How-To post, I saved it...looks like a Bigfoot gave you a slap.

Back