• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan gasket

Sort of both for me, using a one piece gasket. Here's how I did it....

When you go to install the pan gasket, I found it a lot easier to tack the gasket to the engine block with a little RTV to hold it in place. Plus you are less likely to wind up with an oil leak from the rear if the gasket doesn't seat well into the rear bearing cap groove, when installing the oil pan.

You don't have to gop the RTV on...just a nice thin bead on the engine block works great. Work your way from the back of the engine block to make sure the gasket fits in the rear bearing cap groove. As you move forward, use some of the pan bolts to hold the gasket in place while you set it. Go back and press the gasket really well to the engine block. Wait a bit to let the RTV set, then remove the pan bolts holding the gasket in place. Reinstalling the oil pan will be less challenging that way, than sticking the gasket to the pan itself, and trying to keep the gasket in place....

I tried the zip tie / rubber band trick to hold the pan gasket in place on the oil pan, and fail miserably with that method...

I think I got it

put a small bead of rtv on the block, then use the pan bolts to hold up the gasket, let it sit for a while. Then remove bolts and install oil pan. no rtv this time on pan side?

First off let me say that ive never replaced thepan gasket on an xj but have on plenty of other engines.

But the rule of thumb that i follow, and thas has worked, is if you have a sheetmetal pan like the xj the put red silicone on the pan set the gasket on and then another bead ontop of the gasket that Will sitt against the block. I follow this because its sheetmetal and does move when its heated amd cooled plus sheetmetal pans are punched out so there not a perfect machine fit. Having silicone on both sides dosent hurt anythi.g.

But then when i have a 1/4" thick cast iron pan, all i do is put a thick bead of red silicone and wrench here down.

Which ever way you go make Sure when you have the pan dow. That you take a smooth flate file and run it over the botto to knock off any bumps off the block, very important if you wany a good seal.

was looking through the FSM, and it says to put schmutz on the corners only?? Never done this either, yet. But i dont think u can go wrong by putting sealer around the whole thing. Just a little messier if u have to take it off again

I think I got it

put a small bead of rtv on the block, then use the pan bolts to hold up the gasket, let it sit for a while. Then remove bolts and install oil pan. no rtv this time on pan side?

That's pretty much it.... The pans bolts to hold the gasket in place need only be finger tight, until the RTV sets. No leaks for me using this method.

Obviously, the use of a one piece gasket works best.

That is a really good write up

That is the write up I used when I did mine. Easy to follow and I've been leak free for a year now.

looks like sealant is only appplied to the ends

72.jpg

Back