• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Question

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Currently, I am running a Hi flow cat with 2.5" piping back to a Flowmaster 10 (2.5") to a 2.5" crush bent tail pipe to a 2.5" tip.

I am going Thursday to have my exhaust redone completely....I really like the sound of my exhaust, I just wish it was louder....I know it sounds crazy, I am not looking for that "straight" pipe sound or that annoying no header sound. Anything I can get the guy doing my exhaust to increase flow and sound? Maybe, just try to eliminate some bends? Any benfit to maybe running 3" pipe from the muffler back or just keeping it all 2.5"? I really want this to be the last time I do my exhaust......

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
I'm gonna do some more research, but this tech article is going to be my launch point when I get ready to do mine:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoExhuast.htm
Just scroll down past all the header stuff (good info there though) if you only need to look into cat-back.
He discusses the merits of dropping the diameter of the pipes as well as muffler placement.
Hope this helps.

Stick with 2.5", 3" is too big for a stock 4.0. Have the exhaust shop bend up a new down pipe (pipe from the exh. manifold), make sure they use a good bender and can do mandrel bends (mandrel bends=no kinks in pipe). The stock downpipe has a nice dent in it for upper control arm clearance with stock suspension. As far as making it louder, I don't know, you could put a turndown after the rear axle instead of coming all the way out the back, might sound louder, will probably drone in the cab though. Just my $0.02

I'm not a big fan of Turn downs...I don't like the vibrations given off inside the cab. I think the biggest difference is gonna be getting rid of that stock downpipe and replacing it with 2.5 and then I might have them route it differently so there is less of a bend as it goes along the tranny pan. and then try to eliminate as many bends as I can. Currently I have the tailpipe ending right after the rear axle coming straight out.

I'll talk with the guy...they do really good bends, but no mandrel bends....its almost impossible to find someone around here that does it.

Back