• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering setup questions

Elevate

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm looking to beef and raise the front end.

Here is what I have/want to run.

Have:
RE adj uppers and lowers
Skyjacker 6" coils (I may pick up some RE 5.5s ideas?)
Prothane bump inserts
Extended brake lines
RE adj discos
RE adj track bar

Need:
Fox 2.0 (10 or 12s) non resi
Drop pitman arm?
Beefier tie rod?

So here is the question...

What do I do for steering?
Is it enough to do a drop pitman arm?
Do I need a new tie rod even if I don't plan on smashing it on rocks?

I'm not ready to go hydro, I'm more building for some higher speed stuff and expedition

I would like to get some decent droop if I can, reasonably.

Thoughts?

There is a lot of 1-ton steering setups available for a decent price. Probably what I would go for. I have a 5" lift and didn't need a drop pitman arm but I know you are at 6" so I don't know for sure!

i use the iron rock offroad over the knuckle steering system that uses heim joints. the 1 ton steering above is from currie enterprises.

install everything first and see how the angles of the drag and track bar work first. I didn't need a drop pitman arm and I'm at about 5.5" of front lift.

WJ brakes/knuckles. Ruffstuff DIY steering

So is this what your talking about?
ylink.jpg

Or do you mean to piece one together based on the builders parts?

K, so what am I in for? Get the WJ brakes and knuckles, drill them to fit the TRE's?

Will the high angle pitman TRE be enough to let the suspension droop well?

If you go with the ruffstuff setup, you will probably need the GM Crossover steering kit, as the pass side WJ knuckle has the add'l arm higher up for the draglink. Most likely want OTA track bar mount also, which ruffstuff also carries.
I believe if you run the offset TRE's then you can keep stock sway bar mounts (if you plan to use it still).
Don't forget the JKS spacers for the hubs!

I think you guys are making this setup more complicated then hes looking for.... a wj swap isn't exactly a simple setup, though very nice with the brake upgrade and all.

I run JCR otk setup on my xj with a smidge less lift then you and it has plenty of room to handle the droop from my RK 3 link setup. I still left the trackbar in the stock location and have no intention of moving it at the moment. Bumpsteer is nonexistent for the most part, at least not enough for me to do something about it.

I would just go with something like JCR or Serious offroad one ton steering, buy it over the knuckle so you have more droop in the setup and more clearance at the tie rod. You do need to cut off (relocate if you need) your swaybar mounts, cut off your stabilizer mount (not needed in this setup anymore), and drill/ream your knuckles and pitman arm. You won't need a drop pitman arm wit this setup.

I honestly think a WJ setup is more involved then your looking to do from the way you worded your first post.

I think you guys are making this setup more complicated then hes looking for.... a wj swap isn't exactly a simple setup, though very nice with the brake upgrade and all.

I run JCR otk setup on my xj with a smidge less lift then you and it has plenty of room to handle the droop from my RK 3 link setup. I still left the trackbar in the stock location and have no intention of moving it at the moment. Bumpsteer is nonexistent for the most part, at least not enough for me to do something about it.

I would just go with something like JCR or Serious offroad one ton steering, buy it over the knuckle so you have more droop in the setup and more clearance at the tie rod. You do need to cut off (relocate if you need) your swaybar mounts, cut off your stabilizer mount (not needed in this setup anymore), and drill/ream your knuckles and pitman arm. You won't need a drop pitman arm wit this setup.

I honestly think a WJ setup is more involved then your looking to do from the way you worded your first post.
Even without the WJ swap, the ruffstuff crossover steering with offset TRE's should enable keeping the stock swaybar mounts. Altho, with really good shocks swaybar not necessarily needed.

Currie Correctlynk
About as simple as it gets. And no one plans to bash their tie rod (most of us anyway). I think I bought my JKS tie rod for around $100. Better than having to tow it home. The Currie is really nice, but pricey at $450. 6" is the max recommended for their steering setup

I beat the crap out of my Currie steering for like 3 years and just barely bent the tie rod. With a tapered insert, you can go OTK on the driver's side for a ton of clearance. Only reason I replaced it was to go hydro assist.

IMG_1165.jpg

So I did a little digging and then checked out Ballistic Fab.

For $240+ shipping I can get their crossover steering with 3/4" heims for 5/8's bolts
or $255 for their 7/8's kit.

This would leave me with a bumpsteer problem (not parallel), could I just use a drop pitman arm instead of dropping the frame side trackbar mount and raising the axle side?

Thoughts?

So I did a little digging and then checked out Ballistic Fab.

For $240+ shipping I can get their crossover steering with 3/4" heims for 5/8's bolts
or $255 for their 7/8's kit.

This would leave me with a bumpsteer problem (not parallel), could I just use a drop pitman arm instead of dropping the frame side trackbar mount and raising the axle side?

Thoughts?
Ruffstuff > BallisticFab.
In theory a drop pitman arm does the same thing as a drop TB bracket.

how would u do crossover on a stock axle? if i recall doesnt teraflex make a bracket that bolts on so you can do crossover steering?

It's not your traditional y-link. I believe you have to do use the track bar under the knuckle and the draglink would mount on top of the knuckle on the same bolt the track bar uses.

Like this
DSC02122.jpg

by trackbar you mean tie rod. but yes. thats how i have my steering

and ruffstuff>ballistic. i just removed my 7/8 ballistic heims for ruff stuffs.

Back