• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking speedo gear after SYE install-fluid level OK-did I simply overfill?

husker25

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. Installed a SYE kit in October. Have some fluid leaking out where the speedo gear enters the t-case. Bolt is tight and level is fine. I wonder if I overfilled the case when the SYE went in. Still can see fresh fliud on the outside of the t-case. I also wonder if there was a rubber o-ring or gasket I missed when I took the speedo gear out. I doubt I did b/c I just moved the gear out of the way at disassembly. Any ideas?

There is an oring on the speedo housing, if you put it in slightly cocked/not perfect you will pinch the seal and ruin in. Most likely this is what happend to you, I'm not sure if the stealership has them but thats the first place I would look to go buy one.

When you put the new one in put a little bit of grease on the oring so it doesn't pinch as easily

pre lube it with some ATF or oil to avoid that happening again. Can be annoying to get them in. The previous owner of my MJ definitely had trouble, since it came to me daubed heavily in RTV.

I just put a SYE in mine and noticed RTV all over the speedo gear as well. But my wife is the original owner and I know that it has never been touched since the factory. I figured it was part of the factory process and repeated when I reassembled the case...

All my instructions said to put RTV on the speedo gear during install. I had to clean it off when I pulled it...

I've never put RTV on the speedo gear. Seems redundant, messy, and unnecessary. I did however, have the o-ring break on me, and holy hell I could not believe the amount of fluid that came out over the course of 2 days. My entire back window was covered in it, as well as EVERYTHING under the jeep.

Yeah- my first foray into cracking the t-case. I just did what the man told me to!

I've never put RTV on the speedo gear. Seems redundant, messy, and unnecessary. I did however, have the o-ring break on me, and holy hell I could not believe the amount of fluid that came out over the course of 2 days. My entire back window was covered in it, as well as EVERYTHING under the jeep.

Few years ago I was helping my college roommate do some work on his TJ, which included re-gearing the speedometer. A day after we did the work he mentioned that he was seeing fluid leak from the speedometer gear housing on his tcase. I told him the o-ring is probably broken, and to run down the road and grab a new one from Napa. Well, he didn't, and within the week all the fluid completely leaked out of the case, conveniently while he was on the highway. By the time he got off the highway the case did more than just lock up, it exploded and put a fist sized hole in the front.

I thought it was pretty cool....unfortunate, but cool. He however, did not....

I was in a hurry when I did my last re-seal, so not all of the RTV was off of the case half, tail housing, etc. I figured it was leaking because of the rush job reassembly. By the time I would shut the vehicle off and jump out to look under, there would already be 10 drops on the ground. There was fluid completely coving the case, so it was not apparent that just the gear was leaking. Once I started tearing back into the case, to reseal YET AGAIN, I realized the o-ring had broken. Luckily as part of the process, the speedo gear was the first thing I went to remove so it was a quick find and painless fix :)

Back