• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Questions

Gonepostal

NAXJA Forum User
OK here is the situation. I have a 98 that is my DD. I have pickup a 44 from an 87, and another dana 30 (non-disco) out of a 91 for the front. I did this so I could rebuild both axles, then do a complete swap over a weekend and be back on the road for work Monday. I don't have the 30 completely stripped for the rebuild yet. I am curious are there any major differences between the 91 HP 30 and my stock 98 HP 30? So far they look the same but.......

The housings are the same. The diff is the same. The shafts are the same. The 91 might have smaller ujoints. Run the shafts from your newer axle unless you are going aftermarket.

Thanks that was part of my plan and I will be going to the heavier axle ujoints as part of my build. My biggest concern was differences in components such as ball joints, or overall strength. I am replacing everything anyway so these will be going under the rig as close to new as I can get them. Trying to come up with cash for an e-locker up front as well.

caliper mounting brackets are different and the balljoints have pre-load inserts unlike your 98 axle

Thanks if that is the case I may just be sticking with my 98 axle, and working a little later over the weekend to complete the swap.

build the 91 housing with gears or whatever you want to put in it, new balljoints and upper control arm bushings, and put your 98 knuckles onto the new housing. you keep your same 98 brakes and caliper mounting style so you don't have to remember to buy parts for a 91 not a 99 and the knuckles will go right onto the earlier housing.

That's the way I would do it anyway ;)

build the 91 housing with gears or whatever you want to put in it, new balljoints and upper control arm bushings, and put your 98 knuckles onto the new housing. you keep your same 98 brakes and caliper mounting style so you don't have to remember to buy parts for a 91 not a 99 and the knuckles will go right onto the earlier housing.

That's the way I would do it anyway ;)

Went out and looked at the axle. Wondered if this would work and things would intercahnge. Thanks for the info.

caliper mounting brackets are different and the balljoints have pre-load inserts unlike your 98 axle

Don't think so... didn't that end with renix or earlier? Could have sworn it did.

Don't think so... didn't that end with renix or earlier? Could have sworn it did.

My 90 used regular ball joints like all of my other HO XJ's do, no pre-load adjusters.

Other than the axle U-joints, there shouldn't be any difference in the two axle's

I think 89 was the change-over year

I have the axle stripped down with the exception of the knuckles. I will be hunting down a ball joint press later today. It was my understanding that the preload did end with the Renix, but then I heard differently from a friend here. I am hoping he is wrong, but if not I will be swapping knuckles.

Anyone ever found and easy way to replace the inner seals. They don't look particularly difficult, but I want to get them in nice and square.

Lastly I there was one seal that was leaking on this axle assembly and the plastic cover on the shaft was gone. The tube is pretty cruddy. I looked at some of the threads that talked about cleaning the tube, but was curious about anyone else's method. I am planning on just getting in there as best I can and scraping the tube then pulling a solvent soaked rag through the tube.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

I have the axle stripped down with the exception of the knuckles. I will be hunting down a ball joint press later today. It was my understanding that the preload did end with the Renix, but then I heard differently from a friend here. I am hoping he is wrong, but if not I will be swapping knuckles.

Anyone ever found and easy way to replace the inner seals. They don't look particularly difficult, but I want to get them in nice and square.

Lastly I there was one seal that was leaking on this axle assembly and the plastic cover on the shaft was gone. The tube is pretty cruddy. I looked at some of the threads that talked about cleaning the tube, but was curious about anyone else's method. I am planning on just getting in there as best I can and scraping the tube then pulling a solvent soaked rag through the tube.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

I clean the axle tubes with one of those dryer lint brushes you get at lowes, that will pull the heavy stuff out the the rag idea will clean it up good. I have used a pressure washer and engine degreaser before as well.

As for the seals, I use two large sockets(don't remember the size but I think they are 1-1/4") and the a short piece of 1/2"-13 threaded rod. Get the seals started by tapping them with a small hammer/socket then put the two sockets and threaded rod in there and press them in. Here is a pic, note that I used washers in this install but I switched to (2) 1-1/4" sockets since. It works the same but the sockets allow them to be pressed in straighter.

P1020151.jpg

P1020152.jpg

I clean the axle tubes with one of those dryer lint brushes you get at lowes, that will pull the heavy stuff out the the rag idea will clean it up good. I have used a pressure washer and engine degreaser before as well.

As for the seals, I use two large sockets(don't remember the size but I think they are 1-1/4") and the a short piece of 1/2"-13 threaded rod. Get the seals started by tapping them with a small hammer/socket then put the two sockets and threaded rod in there and press them in. Here is a pic, note that I used washers in this install but I switched to (2) 1-1/4" sockets since. It works the same but the sockets allow them to be pressed in straighter.

P1020151.jpg

P1020152.jpg

Great Idea! Thanks! I have a seal driver, but driving a seal in this tight space I could picture the seal shifting and going in cocked.

Have you ever used any of the greasable tube axle seals? While I have this apart I am cosidering a set.

Great Idea! Thanks! I have a seal driver, but driving a seal in this tight space I could picture the seal shifting and going in cocked.

Have you ever used any of the greasable tube axle seals? While I have this apart I am cosidering a set.

Yes, all of my XJ's/MJ have them. No more crud in the tube. The outer tube seals are not meant to keep gear lube in but to keep crud/water out. Some people use them in order to not replace the axle seals and that is a bad practice/use of a good product.

Wow! I can see where someone would think they would work because they do look like they could accomplish lube retention. I would never depend on these to seal in my lube....bad idea. I will be ordering a set for there intended use. They would probably also help save the inner seal from wear as well since the environmental contaminants would be sealed out.

My 90 used regular ball joints like all of my other HO XJ's do, no pre-load adjusters.

Other than the axle U-joints, there shouldn't be any difference in the two axle's

I think 89 was the change-over year

Yes, you guys are correct when I broke a knuckle I tried a 88 knuckle off a yj and its different.

Back