• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Write-Up / How To: 31" tire in stock location

Voteban

NAXJA Forum User
My girlfriend and I went to the JY and picked up a few parts including a wheel for her spare tire. We had Big O mount and balance it and we bungeed it down. I decided that wasn't good enough so when we got home I did this:

Cut the stock bolt around here and measure how much extension you need / cut a piece of tube to fit:

img0552sq.jpg

Weld it up:

img0553pg.jpg

Drill out the hole on the tab in the back of your XJ a little bit and mount up your tire / wheel!

img0554bp.jpg

The hatch closes with some room to spare, I still need to put her rear hatch trim on.

img0555xd.jpg

It only took 20 minutes and it keeps her spare tire locked down. Success! :D

turn the spare around... the stock rod will then fit inside one of the lug holes, with plenty of threads to keep it secure.

EDIT:
i see yours isnt sitting on the wheel well like mine is. ive fit various 31s in there, usually they touch the speaker bar.

This one just wasn't long enough, even with the wheel turned around. I made it extra long to put the "pretty side" of the junkyard wheel out.

Nice work. i always liked my spares the other way so i could use it as a cubby to cram stuff into.

Eh, her jeep is 95% street time, so she doesn't carry around very much stuff... If we ever need more room we'll throw some stuff in there, thanks for for the tip!

Good call on the Go-Jeep link. He always seems to go the extra mile, like the extender bracket for the seat latches.

I have had mixed results with the stock location.

On my 86' with a used up 31" tire (read, 30.25 actual diameter), it worked fine floor to ceiling. Moving the upper rear seat brackets forward 1 hole took care of rear clearance when I went to a tire which was more like a 31.

My next XJ, a 98' was a horse of another color. The rear speaker housing made sure I had no clearance floor to ceiling, and I had to remove the bottom support bracket and move the seat mounts forward to get it to fit and use a piece of all thread for a retainer bolt to get it to work. Finally got sick of it and put it on a tire carrier ;)

In both cases, no holes were drilled, and no brackets made.

My next trick is to get a 33X12.50 on a 10" wheel to fit in the stock location ;)

Hmm th old 31 10.50 i got for free as a spare fit just fine (SNUG) with no mod.

I guess it doesnt have much tread on it though..

I was contemplating trying to get a 33 in there aired down and ratchet strapped (probably a bad idea).. I have o.b.a. To air up the tire if i do pull it off

Mines a 2001

Hmm th old 31 10.50 i got for free as a spare fit just fine (SNUG) with no mod.

I guess it doesnt have much tread on it though..

I was contemplating trying to get a 33 in there aired down and ratchet strapped (probably a bad idea).. I have o.b.a. To air up the tire if i do pull it off

Mines a 2001

Thats what my idea was too, I really wanna find a 33x9.5 and a factory steel wheel

Nice fab work, but... 2$ at Home Depot...

PC270022.jpg

PC270024.jpg

Nice!

So you took out the plate on the bottom, replaced the stock tire bolt with a hardware store hook bolt, and re-used your stock cone and nut.

Very clean :)

I see that is a 97 and up. Did you need to move the seat? How secure is the tire? Is it crooked, or flat against the inner fender?

I cant find any old photos, but when I did a similar extention for my 88 I had a 5 or 6 inch piece of 8-10 inch pvc pipe cut at the hardwear store. Sandwiched that between the plastic trim and the rim, kept the tire standing nice and straight and snug. I was using a Goodyear wrangler 30/9.5 on stock steelies as a spare.
Just to add, I also bolted a leftover piece of diamondplate behind the fender trim and installed a 5/8 or so eyebolt to move the ceter of the hub to a more desireable location. If that makes sense?

Just goes to show how no 2 of these installs seems to be the same: My 98' using a set of 8" Wrangler Moab rims with 30X9.50s bolted into the stock location with absolutely no modification or funny business of any kind.

Also, the threaded rod part was out of an 88 that I had a while ago.. I forgot to mention that. The newer ones might be different / longer.

good thread.. was thinking of best way to carry my spare 245/75 inside..

i use the jeep for a lot of back country camping and some wheeling. would you guys say, you'd have more, or more useful room by mounting in spare location? or laying on floor and building a sub floor on top?

Back