• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bizarre Electrical Problems

coloradomtnjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ Country, when I turn on the headlights, the rear wiper starts to run. If I set the guage lights to full dim, the rear wiper stops. The turn signal lights or blinker will not work at all with the headlights on, work OK with the headlights off.The lectric door locks dont work at all, but the rear wiper cycles every time I try to lock the doors. The electric windows work fine. I think I might have lost a ground connection somewhere, and it's finding ground through the rear wiper. I have no idea where the grounds are and help would be appreaciated!:confused:

The more likely cause is a short circuit that is crossing the wires. Inspect the tailgate wire harness near the hinges for broken wires or chafed insulation. Also check the 3rd brake light wires, I have found the light housing screws will drill into the wire harness very easily. Inspect the drivers door wire harness and door hinge boot for damaged/chafed wires and failed wire splices. Inspect or replace the multi-function turn signal/wiper control assembly on the steering column. Headlight switch failure is also a possibility.

Back