• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft angle after add-a-leaf too steep?

my2monkeys

NAXJA Member
I put in a Pro Comp add-a-leaf to help my flat leaf springs. Worked good with about a 2 inch lift.

Do you think my ujoints are too stressed now? I put a few hundred miles on so far, but could use some opinoins.

Also is the slip yoke too far out of the T-case now?

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

is that the correct driveshaft? looks like a lot of yoke sticking out, but i could be wrong. i have a 4" lift and it seems like mine isnt that bad, but i have an ax15. i cant imagine 2" of lift over sagging springs is too much for the stock driveshaft.

picture.php

Yes, that's the stock ds. It does have alot of new shiny part showing on the slip yoke compared to what it was.:confused1

One way to know if you are having a u-joint problem with a rear driveshaft angle is to drive it and see if you have any vibes coming from it when you are decelerating at highway speeds. This is easier to do with a manual but if you go from overdrive to 3rd gear with your auto while going 70 with your foot off of the gas, you will force the rear pinion down towards the road. This will increase the angle that your driveshaft rotates at and may cause vibrations. If it does, that is a good sign you have too much angle. If you don't get vibes doing this or anything else it doesn't mean your angle is perfect, but I would drive it daily and not worry about it. U-joints are cheap if way down the road it becomes a problem.

You angle looks good to me, with that small of a lift you should be just fine. If you were talking about a newer XJ I would say you might have some vibes with 2" of lift but the older ones seemed to work alright with 3" and less.

Hope this helps,
Brian

its strange you have that much yoke exposed with the NP242 D35 combo on 2 inches of lift ... i currently have 3.5 inches lift and only 2 inches of the yoke exposed

MY suggestion, LIFT MOAR

With a drive shaft with two u-joints, the angle at the TC should be the same as the angle at the axle pinon. If the pics are true, looks like a lot more angle at the TC than at the pinon.

Did your AAL's reposition the axle further back (to make the slip yoke pull out more)?

Here's how it sits with the add-a-leaf, not that much of a lift.
picture.php
picture.php

This is how it sat before the add-a-leaf
picture.php

I guess that slip yoke should be ok, it has no vibes and drives good. I gotta pull this t-case out to replace the output shaft seal in the AW4 and the front output seal on the np 242.

This is a used t-case I put in last July and I was in a hurry to get it rolling so I didn't change the tranny seal but the leak is getting bad.

Never changed a yoke seal on a t-case, how do you get that nut off when it's like 200 ft lbs on there?
picture.php

Dude buy a cheap angle finder and measure the angle at the two yokes, thats the only way you can tell. Posting pics and having people guess is not gonna get you the right results.

Back