• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Rear Disc Conversion with Grand Cherokee parts

bmsmalley

NAXJA Forum User
Who has done this conversion. Used the rear disc brake set up from a Grand Cherokee? What issues do I need to be aware of? What parts do I need to make sure I get?

The only issue is opening up the hole in the backing plate and bracket to fit over the axle tube, rigging up the parking brake cables and using longer studs for the axle flange and axle shaft flange. And make sure that the calipers are on the correct side, e.g. bleeder valve above line input.

Thx Talyn. Do you know how much the hole needs to be opened and do I need the proportioning valve? What about year model Grand Cherokee, does it make a difference?

The hole only needs to be opened up a little bit. Use come form of cylinder shaped abrasive one in a die grinder and make a few passes then fit.

I would get the prop valve and swap internals and end cap. You will wand a 93-98 ZJ

Thanks again, good knowledge to know. I just came from a pick a part that had at least 10 Grand Cherokee's and all with complete rear ends. I am looking forward to this conversion now.

It's real easy. One suggestion to save yourself some time and money is to get the caliper bracket studs and lug studs from the GC donor. They're longer and needed. Takes about 2 minutes to knock em out.

I did that swap a few years ago.
As I recall, I had to open up the center hole to get the bracket over the axle tube. Not a lot, didnt' take measurements, just put a rotary burr on an air grinder.
Also had to drill out the 4 flange bolts holes on the backing plate maybe 1/8" before it would fit.
If the studs had come out peacefully, I would have replaced them with longer ones. Mine were seized in place, though, so I bolted it up as it was w/ the shorter 8.25 axle studs. Not ideal but years later I still don't have any problems.
I never got around to modifying the prop valve. My brakes would probably be better if I did, but they are pretty good already & I used crappy pads & rotors for the swap. Goes from 60 - 0 in a hurry & is very controllable in wet / snowy conditions.

@ xjtrailrider....what did you do about the proportioning valve?

Nothing yet. I need to get to the pick-n-pull. It still stops straight and better than it ever did before.

Better pics of how I did the e-brake cable clamps

0121120949.jpg

0121120950.jpg

did it on my MJ w/ 29 spline 8.25. Totally worth the 70 bucks it cost me, I can't stand drum brakes.

Nothing yet. I need to get to the pick-n-pull. It still stops straight and better than it ever did before.

Better pics of how I did the e-brake cable clamps

I like that... I just looped the cable around the lever and used the cable clamp to lock it to it self, but your method looks much better.

I like that... I just looped the cable around the lever and used the cable clamp to lock it to it self, but your method looks much better.

I saw your idea posted on GoJeep's site and tried it but then the idea hit me that there was enough meat on the lever to drill it out and put the clamp directly through it.

It also allows some adjust-ability at the brake as well as the stock adjuster/balancer under the hump.

I cut out about 1" of the spring at the end of the cables but I do not think that is necessary. I think it would be easy enough to clamp the spring and cable.

Also, not shown in the pics is a "fuel injection clamp", 13mm-15mm size, to hold the end of the cable housing into the bracket. I was afraid that it may pop out of the bracket if a tree limb or something grabbed it. The clamp goes toward the cable side of the housing and holds the housing securely.

Can kind of be seen in this pic;
0120122046.jpg

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge. Half off sale at my local pick a part in two weeks which is when I will be picking up everything. Until then I will be collecting parts such as new pads/shoes and hardware, caliper rebuild kits, axle seals (might as well since I am in there) and such.

Back