• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Sporadic Hesitation on Restart

vabeachtennis

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone experienced this issue? I can run the Jeep for hours and it's fine. If I stop to get gas(2 minutes0 or go shopping in a store (15 minutes), it's fine. But if i go home hang out for a little over 15 minutes or so and get in the Jeep and start it's fine, but it will sometimes hesitate or bog down when I leave the driveway and get on the road. I let off the gas and then press it again and it's fine and doesn't show any further symptoms. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be the cause of the problem? It's a 1996 4.0. Thanks.

P.S. I tried to search under "1996 heat soak" etc. but didn't find anything.

No ideas?
It just happened again this afternoon after I went into the store for 5 minutes. I started it and it idled really weird i pushed the gas and it didn't want to respond, so I shut it off, turned the vent to off, turned the radio off and restarted it and it was idling normal and made it 20+ miles home with no problems. Like nothing happened at all. I let it sit for a bit and restated it at home and it idled fine.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

It is possible that you have a leaky fuel injector. If the vehicle sits long enough (short stops may not be enough), raw fuel drips into the cylinder. Upon restart, the engine runs kind of fonky for a while until it is able to burn off the excess fuel. Then it runs well again.

There are other possibilities of course, but this is a possibility. Are they original fuel injectors? How many miles on them?

It is possible that you have a leaky fuel injector. If the vehicle sits long enough (short stops may not be enough), raw fuel drips into the cylinder. Upon restart, the engine runs kind of fonky for a while until it is able to burn off the excess fuel. Then it runs well again.

There are other possibilities of course, but this is a possibility. Are they original fuel injectors? How many miles on them?

Thank you for your answer. Yes they are original fuel injectors and they have 150k on them. A Head gasket/exhaust manifold was done at 142k. This afternoon, it was literally 10 minutes max. This time it idled funny and i had to shut it off and restart it. Then it was 100%. Usually, when it has occurred, it would idle fine and then temporarily bog down on acceleration, let off the gas, press the gas and I am on my way for miles and miles.

Back