• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj tube Doors

Dr. Jeckel

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got one of the tube doors done. Went fairly smoothly. It's made out of 1" square tube, .120 wall....it's what I had extra of and figured I'd use it.
You might say why square tube and not round tube, well, like I said it's what I have and I kinda like doing stuff thats kind of a little different anyway ....and I don't have a tubing bender.
I just used a regular gate latch...couldn't justify spending $40 or $80 on a good door latch, but still have to come up with a rubber snubber to keep it from rattling a little.
I also am going to make a padded armrest and cup holder...I figure there's no sense I can't be comfortable. Also, plan to make some removable canvas covers that can be secured with snaps...like a soft top.
I'll make some for the back as well and am excited to not have to try and pry myself over the side of the door to see out. I can still just slide the original doors back on too for inclimate weather.
tubedoor2.jpg

tubedoor1.jpg

Wow, looks killer! I love how you turned the pointy side out!

Thanks for the comments. I'll get some pics of the latch and hinge areas.
I didn't modify the hinge other than realigning them and welding a 1"x1/8" plate from the hinge to body, since they were pulling apart from the body.
I also made a piece to push the button for the interior light when it closes.

i dig it man. if i decide to do tube doors i think i'm going to steel your idea.

i really think the offset tube angles in the middle make it. that was a nice touch.

You're an idiot! You should have put these on the market. You could make a fortune. Bitching work. And yes I'm going to copy your idea.

I also am going to make a padded armrest and cup holder...I figure there's no sense I can't be comfortable. Also, plan to make some removable canvas covers that can be secured with snaps...like a soft top.

What if you had the canvas made with HD grommets and you used some 550 parachute cord to weave it? As the canvas stretches, you can tighten it back up and not have to worry about a snap maybe popping loose in the wind or getting ripped out of the canvas and what-not.

Just a thought.

I love these doors by the way. The "angly-ness" is awesome. Fits the XJ perfect!!

:worship:

Back