• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Dual Electric Fan shroud opinions?

child9

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I'm in the need for a fan shroud that supports dual low-profile electric fans. I've seen one for $50 or so, and if I can pick one up for that price I'll just buy it vs building one...but before I pull the trigger I thought I'd ask here and see what kind of experiences you guys have had that have installed a similar setup. Thanks!

I can't use the stock e fan on the driver's side because of the charge piping.

It is another option to just do the electric fan "mod" in the shroud for the passenger side, but that doesn't solve the issue with the existing e fan on the driver's side.

I'll check out the 3 fan version, thanks.

There aren't many fans that will actually work that well for the 4.0L (don't know about the cooling needs of the 2JZ). I've heard that the Dirtbound kit is good, the 3.8L ford taurus fan w/ stock e-fan and two stock e-fans. Most aftermarket fans just don't pull enough CFM or don't fit well.

I'm using a $50 no-name dual fan. Supposed to move 1200 cfm. Works great but the shroud plastic seems a little brittle. Best pic at the moment ...
CIMG009x380.jpg

1200 CFM is not near enough air. Have you had that thing up and running yet?

Yeah I noticed but I've only read of people having problems keeping cool with a v8 and the xj radiator.

The 2J is a liter smaller, but the turbo will generate a lot of heat. Right now it appears to be on the cusp of being able to maintain a steady temp. It doesn't start to climb until it really gets good and heat soaked.

Worst case scenario I'll have to get an aluminum radiator, possibly a good 3 row. For now I feel like the fans I have would be alright if they were shrouded, but they are cheap and take a second to spin up when I key them on.

1200 CFM is not near enough air. Have you had that thing up and running yet?
Been up and running for over a year now. There's a Griffin radiator with a twin 1.25" core in front. Fan relay is thermally switched; on at 210-degrees and off at 185. Works in the woods and on the road. Fans rarely run as long as the rig is moving, duty-cycle is reasonable idling. No over-heating.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1058013
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1076927
CIMG009x377.jpg

Ah...a griffin radiator. That explains a lot. Back on topic for OP.

I just stuffed the Ford two speed into the factory mechanical fan shroud. Only issue that I found was that I had to seal off the space around the fan as it is about an inch or so smaller than the shroud. Otherwise, it dropped right in...

I haven't seen any dual fan shrouds for the XJ. I run a 3 fan setup from FFdynamics that has been modified for 2 10" spal fans and one 8" fan from FFDynamics. This setup works very well but probably would not work with a stockish radiator setup. My radiator is relocated 1 1/2"forward and the spal fans are close to the engine.

My laptop is down now, but if you look up threads started by me you'll find the electric fans I put on my jeep a few years ago. I retained the stock 97+ aux fan, just moved it over the the drivers side a few inches. I built a simple sheetmetal shroud with two 10" fans on it. Worked pretty good with the stock radiator in my 99 and no aux fan override. I plan to swap the fan setup over to a CSF 3row and add an override switch for the best performance, should never have to worry about the cooling again.

It strikes me as funny that, despite my wiring schematics and signal experience, I still tend to just wire cooling fans to be triggered by ignition power. I key on and things just "power up." LOL.

I haven't seen any dual fan shrouds for the XJ. I run a 3 fan setup from FFdynamics that has been modified for 2 10" spal fans and one 8" fan from FFDynamics. This setup works very well but probably would not work with a stockish radiator setup. My radiator is relocated 1 1/2"forward and the spal fans are close to the engine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16928/

Some modification required.

The one from Dirtbound Offroad is also an excellent choice IMHO,...if you are not set on dual fans.

http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/category/accessories/cooling/

It strikes me as funny that, despite my wiring schematics and signal experience, I still tend to just wire cooling fans to be triggered by ignition power. I key on and things just "power up." LOL.

I swapped in a 2nd 97+ fan in place of the mechanical and that's the way i have it wired with the first one on the factory system (on a certain temp or when the a/c is on). I've been wanting to splice them together so that they both operate the same but I've heard that they draw a lot of amps. Guess I'll have the 2nd fan kick on through a relay that gets its signal from the splice off of the factor electric fan.

Not that any of this helps you since your charge pipe is keeping you from using this setup, hence your thread.

Back