• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 transmission cable issue

whitneyj

NAXJA Forum User
When the shifter in my 00 is in P it's really in reverse, when the shifter says Reverse-the tranny is in neutral. I pulled the arm off the shifter knob on the tranny and verified it was one click off from Park. I don't see an adjustment to the cable. Any ideas or recommendations before I cut the arm up and weld it back on with the correct angle? I have no idea how this happened....

ok, I'l double check it, but I didn't see how it could be adjusted. There isn't a jam nut or threaded end or anything similiar.

How could the cable have suddenly become so out of adjustment anyhow? I did relocate the shifter, but it was fine for over a year before this happened.

I thought the same thing on my 00. Then I noticed the template showing PRND21 had moved in the cover. nothing was ever wrong with the linkage....

I don't have a cover on mine. It's clearly in the gates as Park-tranny is in reverse, R-tranny is in neutral and so forth. That's why I pulled the shifter arm off the tranny shift knob to confirm it was off a click.

I'll pull the cable out of the Jeep and take a closer look. There does seem to be a whole mess of plastic nonsense where it mounts on the tranny.

The problem is probably with the indicator, not the tranny. Take the indicator apart and move the little orange peice of plastic.

I'm not sure who many times I have to explain this: I don't have an indicator. Maybe you should read the thread from the top down and read EVERY SINGLE POST. Maybe you'd see that I said I don't have an indicator. Maybe you'd see where I described how I removed the arm off the tranny and verified the tranny was indeed one click off from where the shifter was in the gates. Maybe you'd not have posted something that would have identified you as not able to read or you'd not have posted something completely unnecessary and stupid. Congratulations.

I pulled the cable, it indeed does have a slide style adjuster. I'm not sure how it slid all the way to the end of adjustment as it's now adjusted and everything functions as it's supposed to. I suppose if it does it again I'll swap the cable out for one from midwest cable supply with threaded ends and jam nuts.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back