• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01XJ Ignition switch

renaldude

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, Love my '01 130k 4L 4x4 auto XJ but, the ignition key won't turn anymore and I can't stand the darn thing just sitting there and laughing at me. It started innocently enough, just push the key in and out a few times and no problem, twist and go.
Well, not any more. Yes I sprayed the lock with WD40 then shoved the key in and out more than a hundred times, three times. It's become a no key turning source of intense frustration. I read the column-pull thread but that is for the older generation XJ. So before I go tearing into mine I want to know what is different like where the facia screws/clips/holding devices are and whatever else changed so I don't mess anything else up.
Thanks in advance for keeping me from just pounding a screwdriver into the lock and being done with it.

There should be no reason to pull the steering column. A locksmith can either repair the original lock cylinder or re-key your replacement cylinder.

If you can get the key to turn the ignition lock cylinder, you push the cylinder release button, and remove the cylinder. If you need to remove the ignition cylinder housing from the steering column, you need a set of tamper proof Torx bits.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Stick the key in and try lightly turning it while jiggling the key up and down, if that doesn't work try turning it and jiggling it in and out. Once you get the key into to the on position there is a hole in the column cover below the ignition. Stick a screw driver or another key in there and you should feel the lock cylinder release tab. remove the lock cylinder and clean the heck out of it and re-lube it with light oil. Mine started to do that and I when I cleaned it a hole bunch of black crap came out and now its butter smooth.:party:

Thanks Tim and Sideways, very happy i don't have to remove the steering wheel or anything mostly because of the airbag in there. I'll try the wiggle and be gentle this time then if it turns, the screwdriver up into the hole to get to the cylinder holding pin. But what if I can't get the thing to turn?

Note from DJ
If you have AAA membership give them a call, they fixed a friend of mines Chevy pickup in my driveway when his ignition switch failed him.

The best part was he was not a member but I was so they did it on my card. He then joined up.

If neither option works for you then check with your insurance carrier to see if you have emergency road side coverage, if so check if it will cover your problem.

Thanks again guys, It works! Gentle tapping on the end of the Key while it was in place in the ignition cylinder got it to turn. Drove it home, stuck a screwdriver up the hole and pulled out the the sticking mess. Half a can of brake cleaner later it is again the fine piece of mechanical engioneering that it was intended to be.

Back