• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont Start

tcpoland

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Check engine light came on while driving. Everything seemed fine, ran fine, gauges good, but when I turned the engine off I could not get it to start again. It cranks over and seems like it wants to catch at first but then just continues to turn. Its a 98 4.0. CPS is 14mos old, checked fuel pressure at the rail and is good. I could really use some help, just got it out of the shop for a big brake job and dont have cash for another mechanic trip.

Did you test the CPS ?

Down the Check Engine Light trouble codes. GOOGLE for solutions or post the exact codes here.

Your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong.

Agreed. The strategy for a vehicle with a check engine light is always the same read the code.

For a 98, you will need either a code reader or a scan tool. The key and odometer trick won't work with a 98.

Post the code(s) here for comment and we'll try to help.....

Don't throw parts at this on a hunch. That is terribly inefficient and gets expensive in a hurry. The code will likely lead you to the faulty circuit/system.

Back