• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really strong fuel smell

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
My 01 shows no sign of a leak, yet the inside smells like a has can! Even after a week parked in garage if you are under the jeep near the driver rear side rear there is a fuel smell. In the cab windows up or down the smell is there. Strange thing is it comes and goes . I don't care but I don't want my son and wife inhaling fumes. Any ideas of the source or has any had a similar issue ? I didn't see anything Ina search... Thanks

It maybe the evaporation system charcoal canister leaking, or the evap system vacuum hose connections to the canister cracked, deteriorated, or otherwise bad. The canister is located on the driver's side , near the rear axle. There are vacuum lines (plastic and rubber couplings) from the engine bay to the canister, and from the canister to the top of the fuel tank (steel line). You may want to examine all these lines and couplings.

Does the canister have a metal cover over it? I'll post a pic of what I think is it. Would I have to pull tank to see the other issues ? thanks

Most likely the check valves/roll over valves/vents, whatever you want to call them on top of the tank are stuck open.

I'm surprised your not getting a code on the OBD2 system, its touchy when it comes to a evap leak

p0456 = evap leak (prob it, but where is the question)
p1494 = leak detection pressure switch
p0135 = heater condition (o2)
p0158 = circuit condition (o2)
p1491 = fan relay (fan comes on with just acc, fixed wasn't the issue)
p0161 = Heater condition (o2)

Get in Jeep. Start Jeep

Get out, get on ground and look for leak. Likely around fuel filter mounted on "frame" just behind rear drivers side door. 2 small hoses, 4 small hose clamps. Hoses get oxidized and forgotten, clamps get rusty and ineffective. If it's leaking there while running, or even priming, replace the 2 small hose sections and clamps.

3/8" fuel line, nitrile, BUNA-N

AND/OR

Open hood with Jeep running. Look carefully at EACH injector. Just a drop or two frying on the manifold will smell very strong in the cabin and any more is flat out dangerous. If I had anymore than an occasional fuel smell, I'd fix it fast.

You may smell fuel vapors from a disconnected evap line, but I'd be more worried about a strong raw fuel smell as opposed to just partially burned "afterfuel".

Does the canister have a metal cover over it? I'll post a pic of what I think is it. Would I have to pull tank to see the other issues ? thanks

Yes, it has a metal cover over it.

Question: Do you have a leak detection pump? It will be located just behind the Power Distribution Center on the passenger side in the engine bay.

Get in Jeep. Start Jeep

Get out, get on ground and look for leak. Likely around fuel filter mounted on "frame" just behind rear drivers side door. 2 small hoses, 4 small hose clamps. Hoses get oxidized and forgotten, clamps get rusty and ineffective. If it's leaking there while running, or even priming, replace the 2 small hose sections and clamps.

3/8" fuel line, nitrile, BUNA-N

AND/OR

Open hood with Jeep running. Look carefully at EACH injector. Just a drop or two frying on the manifold will smell very strong in the cabin and any more is flat out dangerous. If I had anymore than an occasional fuel smell, I'd fix it fast.

You may smell fuel vapors from a disconnected evap line, but I'd be more worried about a strong raw fuel smell as opposed to just partially burned "afterfuel".

I don't believe the 2001 XJ has an external fuel filter.

p0456 = evap leak (prob it, but where is the question)
p1494 = leak detection pressure switch
p0135 = heater condition (o2)
p0158 = circuit condition (o2)
p1491 = fan relay (fan comes on with just acc, fixed wasn't the issue)
p0161 = Heater condition (o2)

Looks like a cluster flub. :yap:

P1494: Here's a link to a post about a large evap leak which really doesn't pertain to this code but it does show the leak detection pump.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/2000-cherokee-p0455-code-721270/

~~~~~~

P0135 = heater condition (o2)
P0158 = circuit condition (o2)
P0161 = Heater condition

These are all Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit faults. First thing is to check fuse #17 (20A) in the PDC. When facing the opened PDC from the front of the Jeep, the fuse is in that group of mini fuses between the relays and the large fuses on the bottom - Fuse #17 is the middle fuse on the far (your) right bank of mini fuses. This fuse powers the O2S heater relays. Check it for being blown.

When my XJ was brand new, I developed a gasoline smell in the same general area you described, and it threw the "fuel system leak" code. Since it was under warranty at the time, the delear pretty much replaced most of the fuel system, and even replaced the gas cap.

A few days later, it smelled again and threw the code. Back to the dealer. This time they dropped the tank, and found a crack where the filler neck joins the tank. They replaced the fuel tank, and it solved my problem.....

Here is an update, still have the smell. Gave in a took to a Jeep stealership yesterday. After an hour of smoking the system showed no signs of a leak any where. No visible leaks of fluid either. Only thing the tech noticed (which I can;t believe I didn't was the first 2 Injectors are cracked. So will try replacing all of them and the rusty fuel rail. Just strange since the code showing is large evap leak... Also could the 02s throwing code cause the smell or are the cracked injectors more a likely cause?

99637d1331004040t-could-racked-injector-causing-fuel-smell-cab-image-4151166442.jpg

I had something similar happen in my 01 before. I searched online and what I did was take off and put back on the gas cap. I also make sure now I don't top off when filling up the gas tank. I was doing this a lot before. Apparently that could cause the leak. No engine light and fuel smells after that.

If the engine is running rich in limp mode due to the O2 sensor problems you can get raw fuel out the exhaust.

I think I might have a found the issue... I bought 784 injectors to put in , and i just grabbed a fuel rail from a junk yard this morning. I noticed mine has the damper on the rail.
1. can a rail without the damper go in its place. I thought I have read that before.

362865d1331646974-fuel-rail-same-01-any-previous-years-image-3323468211.jpg

2. could this damper w/o out a cap on the end be the cause of the smell?

10195d1262796012t-2002-4-0-fuel-rail-leak-jeepfuelpic.jpg

I found this shot online that seems to have a cap on it that mine did not. Hopefully replacing with new injectors, and a non rusty rail w/o out the damper will do the trick!

Back