• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GD window!

jaybo

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix a driver's side window that is being a real PITA?! It is manual, and it rolls down about 3/4 of the way and then stops cranking. the crank just slips, then in order to roll it up i've got to grab the top of it and give it some help...then it will roll up. Before it did this it would roll all the way down and then the crank would slip without grabbing the top and pulling it up...seems to be getting worse...I figure anything inside the doors is a joke to work on...I swapped locks and that was such a major PITA...It is so incredibly fun to work on things when you can't see what you are doing!

Mine Too!!!!

My 90 does the exact same thing on the exact same door. I wish I had an answer for it. The only thing I can think of is to replace the unit that is slipping. I have taken a look at it and decided that the window would be one of the last things that I will fix on the XJ. It doesnt look like fun. Good Luck.

90red

The window regulator uses a nylon "zipper" to crank the window. Yours is stripped. If you go to most dealers they'll tell you that you have to buy the entire regulator assembly, metal track and all. The parts guy at my dealership told me that the replacement zipper for the power windows will also fit the manual windows, and costs a lot less. I have it, and it does appear to be the same, but I haven't installed it yet (it's for an MJ that's low on the priority list) so I can't guarantee that it fits.

Anyone else have a solution to this problem?? My passenger side window goes 1/2 down and then the handle just spins. I would rather not tear out the regulator to fix it. But if I have too, whats involved?

Last edited:
LOL, sorry its really not funny, but mine does the same thing, I am affraid that the only option is to replace the regulator, I will be visiting the dealer this week for the part myself, I have thought about going to the junk yard and picking one up also, we'll see. If what Eagle says is true, I may just try that.

Josh

Both fronts were that way on mine, in fact I broke the DS window trying to get it up (pliers & glass don't mix well). I have a guy who does the auto glass for all my junk replace both of them for me when he replaced the window. He went and took the regulators & window out of a newer XJ at a local junkyard and put them in mine in a total of about 3 hrs for under $100.00. Experience makes a big difference when working on stuff like this, it would have taken me all day and I doubt they would have ever worked right. My bet would be to visit your local glass shop for an estimate, they might suprise you.
Mike B.

I had my regulator replaced on my driver's door, that will fix the problem you guys describe.

Luckly I had mine fixed before 9/11/01. My new regulator gets a daily work out every time I drive the XJ to work- have to show the guard my photo ID. the guards do not like when yhouopen the door and stick your badge over the top.

I know what a pain it is and glad it is fixed.

interested in the driver side reg. if SPSERG only wants passenger side

Josh

I think the ones for the rear doors fit the front doors and the rears usually haven't seen as much use as the fronts. I picked up a rear one at the u-pull lot but I haven't installed it yet. The left and right will not interchange.

I have a 96 Sport with manual window cranks and the passenger's side has done the same thing. The crank just keeps slipping. I bought the vehicle today and on the ride home cranked it down....now the bastard wont go back up. Let me know if anyone has this part...it would be the regulator part, not the crank itself....right? I tried getting the door panel off...thats definitely a pain.....damn brittle plastic parts. Abandoned attempts for tonight. Any suggestions or parts let me know.

Thanks guys

Back