• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I hate RTV

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
If I ever find out who serviced the trans last I am going to force them to remove the trans pan for me... I had to beat the snot out of the front diff cover to bust it loose and I don't think the trans pan is as resilient... Gave up and just put bolts back in cause I couldn't find a thin putty knife and this thing has to run today. Worst part is I already drained it and all the ATF I had laying around is redline D4...

Order up some lube locker gaskets for the front and read diffs. I have taken my covers off 10+ times, they still seal great, plus no scraping RTV!

I did use the lube lockers... Concept sounded great and the ease of use should encourage proper maintenance. Glad to hear they work as advertised... If they made one for the AW4 I probably would have bought that too. Is redline D4 not appropriate for the AW4? It's what redline recommends... I'm just annoyed that I'm going to have to waste it bc new fluid + old filter sounds like a combo I don't want to run for too long... All cause I'm running out of time to finish this up & don't have time to screw with the stupid pan... Next time I do a full service though it should take 1/4 the time now that I'm getting everything clean and right!

I did use the lube lockers... Concept sounded great and the ease of use should encourage proper maintenance. Glad to hear they work as advertised... If they made one for the AW4 I probably would have bought that too. Is redline D4 not appropriate for the AW4? It's what redline recommends... I'm just annoyed that I'm going to have to waste it bc new fluid + old filter sounds like a combo I don't want to run for too long... All cause I'm running out of time to finish this up & don't have time to screw with the stupid pan... Next time I do a full service though it should take 1/4 the time now that I'm getting everything clean and right!

The filter is just a metal screen, I would be worried about mixing the new redline fluid with whatever is in their already. Draining the pan only gets what, 1/3 of the fluid out of the system.

Ya, I hate when people use a product for its intended purpose too...
The problem isn't using it for it's intended purpose. The problem is mis-using it for it's intended purpose. If it's pushing out of the joint, you've used too much. And if it's oozing on the outside, it's probably oozing on the inside.

All you really need is just enough RTV sealant to fill the gap, which is darned little.

The filter is just a metal screen, I would be worried about mixing the new redline fluid with whatever is in their already. Draining the pan only gets what, 1/3 of the fluid out of the system.

True... Supposed to be dexron compatible though. I'm more worried about having whatever dirt is in there getting busted loose by fresh fluid and not having a clean filter or having cleaned out the bottom of the pan. I might just have a shop do it because I NEED to drive it Friday (of course I didn't know that until I was already fully committed to a major service... Oh well it's getting done which is the,important thing)

You can fill it and be ok.

Take an 8-10 inch piece of 2x4 and put it against the end of the pan and beat the everliving crap out of it. It will eventually just pop loose and the 2x4 should keep you from damaging the pan.

I have an oil pan seal cutter that I use when the previous owners decide to use RTV instead of a pan gasket. It's nice because I can remove the pan without beating the crap out of it.

Also Toyota and Nissan use FGIP instead of gaskets on a lot of their motors.
j-37228.jpg

2006-03-28_052032_00_Xterra_oil_pan_separation.gif

heck yeah I coulda used one of those yesterday. I literally was pounding on the diff cover with all my strength (at least all of it that I could use at that f'ed up angle) before the silicone let go. I don't think the trans pan will stand up to that kind of treatment...

I'm afraid to ask, what's FGIP? I tried to do a quick search but all I could really glean was that it's something that gaskets are made out of and that Toyota uses it, which I could have inferred from your message...

AH... I was thinking it was some new product with an acronym for a name, e.g. "RTV."

In any case, I really, really like reusable steel core gaskets. Been using them for Studebaker valve covers for years, which is nice when you have a solid lifter cam. Sure, they cost more, but it's just sooo nice to avoid all the scraping and cleaning. IMHO any gasket that is disturbed during regular OEM-required maintenance should be like that, but apparently not too many manufacturers agree with me.

THAT is a nifty little tool. I'm gonna have to make me one of those.

I'm thinking it could be made more elegant with some machine screws and wing nuts, make it so that you can replace the "blade" with a thin putty knife blade or maybe a piece of a drywall taping knife... gotta think about this. My problem was it was 30-some degrees out, I was in a hurry, my hands were frozen, I was pissed off... and once it's fixed right I'll never need that tool so I'll probably never actually build it :)

Back