• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas install issues

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Not having much luck on this in OEM tech

I tried installing my Atlas it went in fine but they sent me the wrong spline input. Important thing is it mated perfectly.
They sent me a replacement input shaft and I tried re-installing. it only tightened until there was a 1/8th inch gap.

I called Adv adapters and they said their input lengths are exactly the same, They've been wrong on things they should know before though.

So I need to know the output length on both the 21 and 23 spline AW4

If it splines but is just too long, cut it down. I scored a Stak 3spd for my jeep. Its was outta a TJ auto going to an AW4. Its was bottoming out like you describe. I just cut like 3/8" off the end and cleaned up the nose of it. Fit and mated up just fine after that.

What did you cut it with? I don't really want to drop my tranny but I guess I'm not that far away at this point.

I'd still like the numbers so I can verify before chopping lol

Thanks I was looking on there but I guess it doesn't like google chrome.

hmm I thought there was a difference between the two spline counts, I guess not.

Looks like I'll be chopping.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Alright I took it back off and got some measurements.

The tranny output protrudes 1/2"
It exceeds the depth of tcase input by 1/8" However the input is not splined for the last 3/4"
So I'm going to cut my tranny output 1/4 just to make sure everything is kosher.

Note : Adv adapters offers a 1" spacer that would put you at 1" 7/8" of mating spline instead of the 2" available. Probably not enough to matter that much but I'd rather save 60$ chop mine and keep that 1/8"

If you don't drop the tranny I would try a small die-grinder. a dremel might even do it.

I'd flush the fluid and get any metal shavings out after.

personally I would spend 60$ to not have to cut anything inside my transmission.

It's outside the tranny though :D

It's outside the tranny though :D

yea, but your trans is going to have to be open to all that crap to cut it... unless there is a seal that I didn't see last time I had my t-case out....

if you can, try cutting it with a hack saw or something, less chance of crap getting in.... just my .02

There's a seal but it doesn't go all the way to the shaft (tcase input slides inside it)
I'm going to make sure I cover it up real well.

I'd be more than a little irritated if I dropped that much money on an Atlas transfer case, and it's got the wrong input shaft. About the last thing I'd be doing is trying to cut down the input shaft on it.

Right now, I'd be more concerned with what the transmission output shaft looks like. Just how the heck did you get the wrong splined shaft to seat "perfectly?"

I'd be more than a little irritated if I dropped that much money on an Atlas transfer case, and it's got the wrong input shaft. About the last thing I'd be doing is trying to cut down the input shaft on it.

Right now, I'd be more concerned with what the transmission output shaft looks like. Just how the heck did you get the wrong splined shaft to seat "perfectly?"

Yeah I might be a little upset but being that I purchased it 3 years ago (had an issue with a fabshop not doing its job.) and called them a month ago. They looked at the order said "oh yeah our bad" and sent a new input, it got here the next morning. It wasn't too hard to swap out.

The 23spline is WAY bigger than the 21 spline it can fit right in without hitting the splines. The 23 spline input also had a beveled lip on the inside where the 21 spline input has a straight edge. since our output is beveled and the size difference is pretty big I think it's fine.

No damage was done to both the output and the old input.

Last edited:
That does make a difference.

Just out of curiosity, did you try mounting the input shaft on the output shaft before you swapped it into the Atlas? If you haven't, it might be worth trying.

yeah I did fit like a glove. Couldn't tell it wouldn't go down all the way at the time though :)

Pulling the input again would take like 3 hours. The tcase is like 15 minutes to pull/install.

Well I cut 3/16ths off then grinded 1/16 or so as a bevel. I tried getting it on but didn't have any much luck. There is something else I didn't consider at the time of install. there's 1/4" of raised surface on the atlas maybe I'm pulling against that and causing the shaft to bind. I guess I'll see tomorrow when I try wiggling some more. Hopefully I "mathed" right :)

08cb7e70.jpg

I am getting a lot of practice with this transfer case removal though.

Do you have a clocking ring on your atlas? If not maybe you should - it uses up 1/4" of splines...

Yeah it's got a clocking ring, I suppose I should of just bought the spacer. I called today and the guy said not to cut it because the input will bind. Goes completely opposite of what they've told me before however and what I've read online.

So now I suppose the question is how far does the input exceed the depth of the AW4 and will a 3/4" spacer make it so I can still keep the same amount of engaged spline.

billavistas write up on Atlas says it's too long too.

Not having much luck on this in OEM tech

I tried installing my Atlas it went in fine but they sent me the wrong spline input. Important thing is it mated perfectly.
They sent me a replacement input shaft and I tried re-installing. it only tightened until there was a 1/8th inch gap.

I called Adv adapters and they said their input lengths are exactly the same, They've been wrong on things they should know before though.

So I need to know the output length on both the 21 and 23 spline AW4

you didnt try to use the bolts to suck the Tcase to the trans did you? It says in the instructions not to, because it will damage the case.

I have an ax15, and the 4speed atlas so my input might not pertain. mine was hard to get to seat all the way but after alot of wiggling it went on. and i did it 2-3 times because I clocked it too low the first time.

Back