• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joints

Tacedaddy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i have a 1990 cherokee 4.0L NP242 with about 3 inches of lift and approx 32 inch tires
(no SYE)

i broke a U-joint yesterday and promptly replaced both my rear DS Ujoints, i had brand new moog spares in the center console

SO now when i take off, only when turning to the left my drive shaft is making clunking noises behind my drivers seat like I have a Bad U joint. They all appear seated properly, anyone else have this issue?

thanks guys

Had this issue on my 89 befor the sye. The angle of the u-joint is causing binding. The one by the t/c. Also if it's a stock shaft the slip joint may be maxed as well. Those two things where causing me a whole crap ton of vibrations and clicks back befor I did the sye and new rear shaft.

ok im glad someone could give me a definitive answer, it really doesnt look like it is maxed out but i have the SYE and new shaft in my shed i was just waiting on my IRO lift to show up

I would put the sye on now since you have it and a new shaft already. Less you have to do all at once and fixes a problem so that you can drive the jeep. Installing a sye is real easy to. When I did mine I took advantage of it being part and replaced all the bearings and seals.

Back