• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable control arms length for 4.5

jorcie7

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought the rough country x flex 4.5. Im going to install it this weekend. Anybody know how long the uppers and lowers are supposed to be set to?

use the numbers you get here for a reference, then adjust to get your pinion ange/caster correct (or as close as possible)

thank you for those numbers. I'm not quite sure I understand the pinion angle / caster thing. I'm assuming I find a balance between negative(?) caster and pinion angle?

well basically (unless you want to rotate your inner c's) your pinion angle and your caster are stuck in relation to each other. when you set your caster, to get it perfectly in spec, your pinion angle will usually be off and cause a vibration. you have to decided whether you want perfect caster and good handling, at the expense of driveline vibes, or no driveline vibes at the expense of perfect caster and better handling. theres usually always a debate over this so thats why i say to use these numbers to get you close, and dial it in to where you feel best with it.

so i got the new front springs on and removed the oem LCAs. now im trying to install the xflex lowers at 16.5" and its not happening. do i need to some how pull axle forward?

I swapped a tired 4.5 in for the RC 4.5 in X series. I also swapped a new D30 at the same time.

Lots of cussing, kicking, farting, pulling...

Scariest part of the axle swap was the lack of a tabbed nut on the track bar mount. I looked here and found out it required one.

You've never seen a lightbulb go off over two men's heads and then seen them move to the donor axle so fast! Thank God it was a stocker when I bought it...

Yeah man- just make sure the rig is stable and you can line it all up.

I was lucky and had a buddy helping me who worked in an offroad shop before he came into the Army.

The 4.5 inch lift that was on my Jeep when I bought it had fixed LCAs with no drop brackets. This was sucking the axle to the rear of the wheel well (negative caster). I just measured the new adj control arms eye for eye to the old control arms. I get vibes at about 65- still trying to work that out.

Last edited:
So after driving it for a few days to let things "settle". I'm getting a shutter right under driver floor pan as i come to a stop at a light. I torqued everything down to spec. Might I have built the joint wrong?

Has it been doing it the whole time since you put it on, or is it recent??

Could be negative caster, unless someone more experienced has something different. From what I've read on it, you should feel it more in the steering.

Is it an "up and down", or "side to side" shudder?

Can you feel it in the steering wheel?

What all did your kit consist of, ie: what esle was changed?

Back