• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Something Pretty Cool (I think, anyways..)

TA2Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I ran into this looking for stuff for ghost towns / mines and this is a really cool archive for a magazine called Dezert magazine. Been around since the '30s and the issues have maps and stories for the old desert ghost towns and mines. In the March '65 issue there's a very interesting story about a guy finding a good amount of surface gold around the Salton Sea area.

http://dezertmagazine.com just click on the tab named original Desert magazine at the top....

(I am in no way affiliated with this magazine or trying to get that site hits; I just thought it was a really cool resource)

Great now there is going to be all kinds of folks out here.

Nice find, I live in Palm Springs and i'm always running around looking for stuff to do for day runs.Lots to do out here if you want to kill a weekend or 12 or more.

I know of approx. 30 mines in the Campo area but all I have ever found is Fools Gold

In the March '65 issue there's a very interesting story about a guy finding a good amount of surface gold around the Salton Sea area.

Cool stuff. Good old Pegleg Smith's lost gold has inspired many 'explorers'. Tons of good stories out there and places to visit. My family always enjoys having something specific to explore when we head out there.

I knew a few old timers who wrote for the mag. back when it was about exploring and wandering the S.W.

I found a guy who had decades on a few CDs and was able to get some...

Cool reading...

Curt

Back