• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Choosing Tires

Burt Gummer

NAXJA Forum User
The 31" BFG mudders on the 01 (lifted 3 1/2") I just bought are somewhat less than economical for general use. I am getting about 15 mpg, where I got 20 highway in my 99 with stock rubber. Most of my driving will be on pavement, but I need traction on dirt and gravel for hunting. I am not planning any serious off-roading. What's my best bet size-wise? Any thoughts on mfr? I have heard good things about Kumho.

Your best economy will be to use the stock size (since it's engineered to match the stock gearing). It will look a little funny with the lift though! In my opinion, I'd run 33x10.5 since they'd fit the stock wheels. For my money, BFG ATs are a good all-around tire.

So you're wanting to go a bit smaller or you're looking for a different type of tire?

You can either regear the axles you have or step down a size and run some 30s or 29" tall tires.

I run these:
2011-06-03_20-37-43_559.jpg

I'm not even sure who makes them (I bought them used and put em on there). They're 31" tall and ride excellent on the road and grip the dirt well enough.

If you like them I'll check out the name on the side of them.

FWIW:
My 93 XJ has 265's on it that are Dayton Timberline A/T
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f211/dayton-timberline-t-770290/

they have very nice road manors and they are amazing in the mud and snow, We tried to get stuck in the mud last weekend (mild mud that was as deep as the sidewall of the tire) and could not get stuck !

I just ordered a set of Hankook DynaPro's for my WJ and they seem nice on the road but I have no exp. with them offroad and they are only @115-120 per tire

The 31" BFG ...... I am getting about 15 mpg, where I got 20 highway in my 99 with stock rubber.

Are you correcting the odometer mileage for the error induce by the larger tires ? If you forget to allow for the error, your mpg figures will be too low. You also need to allow for winter blend gasoline, which will drop your mpg's by about 10%.

Pretty much as a rule, MT tires get slightly worse mpg's than an AT tire.

According to Wiki:In 1961, Firestone acquired the Dayton Tire division from the Dayco Corporation.

I had brand new, from a reputable dealer, Dayton Timberline ATRs on my '96 when I bought it. 30k miles, tread looked brand new, worked great in snow. But, in three years, three of the four were out-of-round, one to the point of the car bouncing up and down at slow speed, felt horribly out-of-balance at highway speed. Always kept them balanced. You can balance an egg, but they still have a funny shape...

I'd be hard pressed to recommend them, but others have had better luck. Caveat emptor!

Last edited:
Back