• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air shocks on a DD?

G.P_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, so ive been collecting parts and materials to make some custom long arms for my 98, and i was thinking that is im going to do it i would do it right the first time and get rid of the coils and shocks and go with some sway-a-way 2" racerunner air shocks, the are cheaper than coilovers and seem to work extremly well offroad.

My worry is what would they be like on the street, my jeep sees alot of pavment as well as some tough trails.

Do you think i could get away with it? or should i save up and get the coilovers?

Jeeps specs:
1998 4 door
currently on a 6 inch lift and 35's

Thanks
Garrett

eh, i wouldnt. you DEFINATELY need to put a good swaybar on it and it probably wouldnt be very safe at highway speeds. air shocks are pretty soft for street use even at their stiffest.

i run fox air 2.5 in the rear and fox air 2.0 in the front of my race buggy..i can tune the shock to do anything a coil over can do so i dont see why it wont work on the street, valve it up, and throw some more nitrogen in when you want to lift it right up for the bush. i can get my buggy to run with 3ìnch ground clearance or 24 inch clearance with just a change of nitrogen pressure.

i love my air shocks, so much lighter than a coil over. easy to work on. tough as nails, i beat the $hit out of them on short course race tracks and they dont fade.

i thought about it, but decided on coilovers.
one of my main reasons is i'm an avid mountain biker, and air shocks are nice because they're light, but it's hard to beat the ride and reliability of a good coil spring shock. If you have issues with an air shock, it could lead to leaking, which means you're sitting on the axle. it happens a lot with bikes, and seeing that they use similar technology and are both built by Fox, i wouldnt doubt it could happen to the automotive air shocks. I've also seen it happen on nitrogen charged motorcycle shocks. I'm not saying it will happen, but it's just another potential problem created.
You mostly see coil shocks on bikes that see a lot of big hits. this also goes for dirtbikes (i've only seen coil spring shocks on dirtbikes)

built a yota buggy with fox airsocks and trail gear 4link rear and its my friends daily driver. doesnt seem to have a problem. granted its a 4 banger, and doesnt see very high speeds.

i would do it right the first time and get rid of the coils and shocks and go with some sway-a-way 2" racerunner air shocks, the are cheaper than coilovers and seem to work extremly well offroad.

Do yourself a favor, and get 2.5" air shocks. the front ot the XJ is heavy... Heavier if you still have a windsheild, doors, air conditioning and all kinds of things I havent had in years...

The few extra $$$ will make you that much happier.

Back