• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

p0138 again

bucklanddj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I have a '"97 xj 4.0, ax 15. I had p0135, and p0138 codes come up. o2 sensors. Changed both, p0138 still comming up.
Engine runs rough, stinks of gas, hesitates. The weird thing is as im going through the gears and as i push in the clutch between shifts i hear a whoosh kind of sound. This happens between all gears. Im suspecting a vacuum leak but not sure where it would come from.
The 02 sensors that i bought were off shore (Chinese) could this make a difference.
Thanks.

JEEP and NTK seem to be that favorite of many Cherokee owners. Bosch and nameless generic crap seem to cause more problems.

P0135 (M) 1/1 O2 Sensor Heater Failure. Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction. Check the O2 sensor fuse. Check the sensor and sensor wire harness for sort circuits, open circuits, damage, and corrosion.

P0138 (M) 1/2 O2 Sensor Shorted To Voltage. Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above normal operating range. Check the sensor and sensor wire harness for sort circuits, open circuits, damage, and corrosion.

Possible causes
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
- Inappropriate fuel pressure

I'd get those offshore oxygen sensors out of there, regardless of whether they are causing this or not.

Go name brand only for oxygen sensors. Stay away from the inexpensive no-name sensors available on flea-bay.

I like NTK for 1991-2001. I believe Bosch was the OEM supplier of oxygen sensors for the 87-90.

Back