• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing t case

Project-Goldi-lock

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 Cherokee with selec trac and my 228 has something wrong with it and I have a 242, will that bolt right up? Or will I need to change stuff, my jeep also has a 2inch lift

I have an 86 Cherokee that had a NP228 in it and swapped it for a NP231J out of a 96! Don't know if this helps but you are really concerned with the input spline count. Mine bolted up no problems but now I have to figure out how to shift this damn thing!

Yes I did! The stock driveshaft I had on my NP228 was to short for the NP231. You might get lucky and find a front driveshaft from a V8 Grand Cherokee that might fit but realize you need a SYE or something similar. I also lifted my XJ 4.5" at the same time. If you have no lift a stock rear Cherokee that had a NP231 or 242 might fit. I did a HnT on my NP231 and just had a local guy here custom make a driveshaft for about a hundred bucks! Fun part is the shifter. I still haven't figured a good way to shift it yet cause 84-86 didn't have NP231's. I haven't found a NP207 TC to see if I can adapt that shifter some how. Let me know if you have any questions. I am one of probably a handful messing around with a 2.8l V6! I'll run it till it dies! I have a 4.3l I am building right now to swap in later!

If its an auto then yes it is the A904 or "baby" 904! If I remember correctly it was a 21 spline shaft. Easiest way if your yanking the TC anyways is just to count them when it's out. I don't know if you have the computer controlled version of the 2.8l or not but mine was a hard wired system with no computer. I got the edelbrock manifold and holley carb and literally ripped everything else out! So much better now. I'll have to send you some pics! Getting all those vacuum hoses and check valves and various other crap out of the way makes it run so much better!

ya i just replaced the oil pan on mine because the previous owner jumped it doing 60 and put the axle into it but did no motor damage. I have a 2 inch lift on mine so hopefully the drive shaft will work out ok. this link is to pictures of my pan and my jeep
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cooneyjoey/sets/72157629134651327/

You still need a different driveshaft cause the NP228 uses fixed yokes front and back and the NP231/242 uses a slip yoke. Just measure and use this to determine what shaft you need!
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF

i dont have a computer controlled 2.8l. i gotta tune the carb though, shes running really rich, so rich that when i hit the gas she stalls out, thank you for all your help

It's a royal pain to tune that carb! It relies on so much input from all those vacuum sources it's ridiculous. It's about 400 to 500 to replace all that crap but it's so worth it! Good luck tuning!

Back