• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Somethings bent!

Joshooha

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have not torn into this problem that far quite yet, but I would like to have a few ideas from my friends here!

92-aw4-stock dana 30-4.0litre-3" lift coil springs with 1.5" puck assists.

In a nut shell I got in the XJ one day and I drove it a short distance when I heard a clicking (sounded like a u-joint binding). It was odd because I was on pavement and in 2wd. So I get back home and get under it to take a gander.

Well apparently I had hit something at some point with the right side LCA. The mount on the axle was twisted and cracked, and the mount on the body had a pretty good sized impact mark. So I looked a bit closer and it definitely showed that the front axle was shifted. The front drive shaft was not aligned with the front axle to the transfer case (causing the u-joint to bind), and the coil springs were kind of u-shaped indicated a substantial shift to the left, I want to say a good 3.8's of an inch.

As I began to install cut off and weld on new LCA mounts, I unbolted the LCA's from the axle side only. When doing this the arms sprung to the right significantly. The right side sprung over about half of a control arm width, the left side however was a control arm width and then some! After welding on the new mounts, I had to force the arms back in, and I was hoping in doing so that it would pull the axle back straight. This was not the case.

So I have started half ass looking at stuff on the suspension and I can not seem to find a good indication that something is horribly bent or twisted. Looking at the jeep you can clearly see that the axle is to the left. You see the coil springs are folding and the tire is sticking out of the left side fender flare where as the right side is tucked inside the fender flare.

Can I take measurements with plumb-bobs to check the alignment and maybe see whats bent? or lay a straight edge across some components? What would you all suggest the next step be? (no smart ass responses of "buy a new front axle" PLEASE!) I may end up buying a new front axle, but if its just something bent like a trackbar, I will just get something beefier. Everything on this axle is stock other than the steering stabilizer and obviously the LCA mounts on the axle.

The trackbar or one of the brackets is the first thing that comes to mind... It locates the axle side-to-side under the rig, whereas the control arms locate it fore and aft.

If you're running a stock upper link, I know they tend to crack/bend/tweak, could be worthwhile looking into a bit more.

And you didn't feel the impact that was sufficient to bend the track bar? really? Just got in it one day and heard the clicking noise? You must have some clue as to what caused the damage...or, maybe, do you have a teenage son? Mmm

And you didn't feel the impact that was sufficient to bend the track bar? really? Just got in it one day and heard the clicking noise? You must have some clue as to what caused the damage...or, maybe, do you have a teenage son? Mmm

Not necessarily. I went 4 wheeling the week prior. The girlfriend had drove it for a few days after, then I got in it and heard it. I don't think she went wheeling with it, but it would be a lot cooler if she did! haha. My guess is wheeling it weakened something then driving it for a week straight hurt it more. Her route to work is HORRIBLE, for construction, ruts and pot holes, and she wouldn't know better to slow down or swerve around them to begin with.

But, thanks guys for the suggestions. I will get some money together and start trying to beef this thing up some more!

Back