• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise coming front front end that sounds like brake drag?

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a noise coming from my front end that sounds a lot like a caliper is dragging. Almost like when you apply your brakes after the rotor flash rusts over (I had a honda, and this happened anytime it rained)

Thing is I have checked the brakes and they dont drag. There is no pulling while accelerating nor while stopping. The hubs feel nice and cool.

I have cv joints up front (PO put them in for some reason) so I am going to check those out tomorrow. Where else should I start looking?

Tomorrow I will look at cv's, hub bearings and front diff fluid change.

What year is your rig. If nothing visual. Jack one side up at a time and spin the wheel. If you still have the factory dust plates make sure that they are not rubbing. Might have bent one in not relizing it.

its a 98.

I checked the front diff and the fluid was a little low. topped her off so Ill see if that helps.

The diff fluid looked clean and there was nothing out of the ordinary stuck to the plug magnet. Just a small amount of grit.

I will check the dust covers tomorrow and see whats up. Thanks for that info.

Im going to have to go into the diff and replace the seals as soon as it gets warm, so Im also going to swap the axles out and put in some axles with u joints I have laying around.

Put it up on jackstands and rotate each wheel, see if the noise comes from a particular side. In addition to the mud dust guards being bent, look for rocks having been wedged against the rotor.

Back