• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If my e-brake doens't work am I to assume that my drums do not either?

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
The hand brake does nothing on my 01, I wish to fix it but need to know what to trouble shoot. I see the cable but nothing looks broke. Also my question is if the e-brake doesn't work, does that mean the drums don't either? thanks

Not necessarily. The cable might not be pulling tight enough to bring the brake shoes into contact or with enough pressure against the drums. If your brakes are anything like mine, the auto-adjusters are pretty ineffective. Check the slack in your cable and make sure the shoes are adjusted. See if that helps.

Most of the time when the brake is loose your shoes aren't adjusted correctly. Which pretty much means you have no rear brakes and your front brakes are doing all the work.

Most of the time when the brake is loose your shoes aren't adjusted correctly. Which pretty much means you have no rear brakes and your front brakes are doing all the work.

Not always true, brakes are hydraulic, e brake is a cable, possibilities are his cables are to short and stretched em flexing(like mine) or the self adjusters are not working and so he's not getting enough pressure to them.

Here is what I would do first... Get some wheel chalks to keep it from moving forward, lift the rear tires off the ground and put it into drive and let it idle, press your brakes and see if they stop rotation... If they do you know your wheel cylinders are fine and rear brakes work, then try your e brake... If it doesn't work use the self adjusters and tighten em up or take the slack out of the cable if the Brake shoes are working fine. That's just what I'd do...

You can adjust the brakes by the self adjusters till they just barely drag. You can adjust the e-brake by tightening the adjuster nut right where the two cables meet with the main cable.

as said... check the self adjuster and space between the drums and shoes.
check the tensioner thingy under the jeep.
my Ebrake failed at the handle one time. the cable ripped out, and i had to remedy a fix.

to see if your brakes are working... put it up on a jack, take the wheels off, hit the brakes (or have someone else), and see if you can see the drum moving.

The general principle on the drums is that the parking brake puts the shoes in a close position, and then the adjusters keep them there. But that is just how it is supposed to be setup. The adjusters can keep the shoes tight even if the parking brake is disconnected.

Only way to know if the brakes are working is jack up the rear tires, spin them and see if they drag to a stop on their own after a few revolutions. If they are still spinning after a couple of minutes then they probably are not working.

Not always true, brakes are hydraulic, e brake is a cable, possibilities are his cables are to short and stretched em flexing(like mine) or the self adjusters are not working and so he's not getting enough pressure to them.

which means his brakes aren't adjusted correctly and they aren't doing shit. if the e brake is out of adjustment then usually the rear brakes are too. Sometimes there's an exception but rarely.

Thanks I will check this tonight as I have to replace my wheel cylinders anyways. Do I need a drum tool kit or do pliers and a screw driver work to adjust? thanks

screwdriver works just fine. There should even be a little rubber grommet on the backing plate that you can take out and adjust it without opening it up

If your e-brake handle feels like there's absolutely nothing attached, pull the console and see if the cable's pulled out of the bottom of the handle. After the fourth time it happened on my '99 I just gave up.

Do the cables underneath move when the handle is pulled?
Adjust the shoes first, then the cable

This. After adjusting the shoes, you should adjust the e-brake cable tensioner under the Jeep on the driver's side. If I recall correctly, you want 7 clicks on the e-brake handle when properly set.

Back