• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going into Park

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I have recently had an issue with my 2001 auto XJ. When stopped, I put the lever from drive into park, but when I get between reverse and park, the lever sticks and won't go into park. I can get it in if I wiggle it sometimes, other times just need to smack it in, and others it goes in without issue.

I will also catch coming sometimes from park into reverse, but never get's stuck, just catches and them moves down the gears.

I have no problem moving between any gears otherwise....just park and reverse.

Thoughts?

35 hours and 35 views and nothing?

Did I stump all of NAXJA???

Did you check the cables/levers on the underside of the body? Maybe something is misaligned or debris is stuck in it.

my thought was to pull the T handle off the shifter and remove the panel with the gear indicator and see if anything is interfering topside with the lever mechanism.

I had some problems with my T. case shifter (only sometimes) and under the lever i found a pile of change some bent to heck from the shifter .

shifts much better without piles of change in the way and i made a few cents back off the previous owner (yay im rich)

Both good considerations. I'll check both.

Could be a problem with the shifter, as in the plastic ball/chain inside the handle shaft. Pop off the shifter plate, and watch the action of the detent locks/slots as you cycle between gear selections. It could be that the plastic chain inside the handle is becoming fatigued, or otherwise not pushing down the detent lock as it tries to slide past the stops, epecially between Reverse and Park.

pull the trim panel, cover every part of the mechanism in wd40 (including the cable end and try to use the tube that comes with the can to shoot some down into the cable itself) and do the same from underneath. most times it's just gunk built up or rust interfering with the movement of the piece that keeps it in the position it's supposed to be in.

Back