• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans engages in neutral/ dies in reverse

911xj

NAXJA Forum User
'89 XJ 4x4 with auto trans. When I put the car in trans in Reverse, the motor sputters and dies. When I put it in drive, it turns the driveshaft, although not as much as in Drive. Pulled a few engine codes, but nothing to do with tranny... Any ideas? trans rebuild and torque converter are only 60k miles old...

'89 XJ 4x4 with auto trans. When I put the trans in Reverse, the motor sputters and dies. When I put it in neutral, it turns the driveshaft, although not as much as in Drive. Pulled a few engine codes, but nothing to do with tranny... Any ideas? trans rebuild and torque converter are only 60k miles old...

^^ is this what you were trying to say? If so, I'd suspect a mis-adjusted shift cable or damaged shifter/linkage.

I'm a little cornfused about the codes you pulled from it though. The Renix ECU (1989 engine management) doesn't store or offer codes to the best of my knowledge. Care to elaborate on how and what you got?

I'll tell ya what I've read about on the different forums in regards to the engine dying when put in reverse. The bell housing to engine bolts were loose. Seeing as someone had them out 60,000 miles ago, I'd be checking that first.

Shorty is correct. Renix stores no codes. Go for the simple stuff first, like loose bolts.

So what were the engine codes you pulled, and how did you get them?

My bad!... This is actually a '91 XJ 4.0l...(my camaro is an '89)... and the codes I pulled were: 12... 24-TPS too high/low.... and 41- short in generator central circuit. Cracking open pumpkin today... I'm scared..
Also, if someone can tell how to handle the "short in generator central circuit, I'd be very grateful.

Back