• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 aw4 trans p0700 only code with CEL

jjeepcherokeer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ 4.0l with the AW4
I just recently picked up the jeep and the check engine light is on, scan it reads, p0700 and no other codes.
I have a genisis scanner (can see live data and what not.)
when I go to the trans datastream nothing shows up.
also it acts like the trans is running manually without computer controller when driving it.
If I clear the code it comes back within 5 seconds running or not.
I have swapped out the trans computer with another 99 and it acts the same.
The canbuss sees an AW4 transaxle but not a electric controlled trans.

Thoughs........... any suggestions??
TIA
Zach

No wire continuity, no signal. Start with the simple stuff.

The NSS is the usual suspect. But I will toss in clean the grounds while you are cleaning the NSS.

The P0700 is a well documented issue. Even though you are in Colorado, hit the NSS with PB Blaster or your favourite penetrating oil prior to removal so to free it up from the shaft. Also, make quality Witness Marks to aid in the post cleaning adjustment. What happens is the dielectric grease, over time, hardens due to both age and the heat from the slush box. The hardened greas causes at least one of the spring loaded contacts to get stuck losing contact and the loss of signal causes the TCM to complain to the PCM which obligingly tosses out the P0700 code.

If you are in the Springs and would like some help, drop a line. I had to do this to my 98 summer before last. It is not a difficult thing to do.

pulled and cleaned the nss still no change. if I clear the code while driving it comes out of limp mode and drives well for about 5 seconds then back to limp mode.

It is possible you have a clean and faulty NSS. Did you get a chance to run though the AW-4 trouble shooting charts in the FSM ?

I have a similar issue - i've cleaned/realigned the NSS twice with no real change..

I swapped out my TCU with a working one...same deal. What's left? Shift solenoids?

P0700 is a generic code to tell you there is a trans problem. you need a scan tool that will read the tcm( trans mission control module.)the low dollars scaners you buy at the auto parts store for your check engine light will only read the pcm(power train control module)thats all the law requires.

Back