• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS connector swap - can it be done?

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short - I have a CPS from a '99 XJ in my Jeep (oval connector, flat pins) but my Jeep is a '93 (oval connector, round pins). Are the two different CPSs exactly the same other than the connector or are there other differences in the two? Could I cut the connector off of the '99 CPS and solder the connector from a '93 CPS onto it so it will work with my Jeep?

Long story long - I swapped a '99 AX-15 into my '93 Jeep but didn't think to check the CPS before installing the transmission (and I figured that if worst came to worst I could just swap in my good CPS after the fact since it's fairly easy). Well I got to the last step in the project, which was plugging in the CPS, and I found out that Jeep changed the connector... So I went to replace the CPS with the correct one (the one I took off my '93 AX-15) and even after hitting the bolts with PB blaster many times over 2-3 days one of them still snapped and the other isn't moving.

I have a spare external slave bellhousing so eventually, in a week or two, I'll be dropping the trans again to swap that on and fix the problem properly.. but I kindof need the Jeep running again ASAP. I have a couple spare '93 CPSs laying around so I'm trying to figure out if I could cut the connector off one of those and solder it onto the '99 CPS which is stuck in my Jeep to make it work for the time being.

I want to say they are, but can't guarantee it. Worst case you will burn out the CPS, it shouldn't harm the ECU.

Make sure you get the right pin matchup. 5v, ground, and signal - use various year ECUs to figure out which is which. Section 8w-80 should have pinouts.

So in case anyone finds this thread later on down the road looking for answers:

Yes you can splice the two CPSs together, and I'm pretty sure the wiring is the same, just different connectors. I'll update once I pull everything out again.

At least my Jeep ran fine with the spliced connector.

Back