• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger side drop d44 in XJ?

BruteNasty

NAXJA Forum User
So I got to thinking a little bit ago...Im doing a 60/44 combo in my xj, and was going to run a 231/300 doubler. To avoid flipping the cases, I was wondering If it would be possible to just run a passenger side drop d44. Im running the IRO long arm kit, and was thinking about just cutting off the upper y link on the drivers side, and welding one onto the passenger side.

Anyone think this might work?

Well... Here's my thinking on this. The biggest problems you will have is the driveshaft crushing your exaust at full stuff passanger side because it wraps under the bell housing and down the ps of the jeep. It could be routed down the DS but the exaust and cat will be to close to fuel and brake lines and possibly boiling the fuel/brake fluid in the line causing it to burst. :flame:Burning your jeep to the ground. I'm not saying it can't be done. Just alot of other factors to think about here.

As far as removing one of the upper y links.. Also not a good idea. Those upper control are bolts on the axle side are small enough. 10mm IIRC. And leaving your life and other to rely on 1 now... Thats a BIG chance in my book.

Last edited:
Well... Here's my thinking on this. The biggest problems you will have is the driveshaft crushing your exaust at full stuff passanger side because it wraps under the bell housing and down the ps of the jeep. It could be routed down the DS but the exaust and cat will be to close to fuel and brake lines and possibly boiling the fuel/brake fluid in the line causing it to burst. :flame:Burning your jeep to the ground. I'm not saying it can't be done. Just alot of other factors to think about here.

As far as removing one of the upper y links.. Also not a good idea. Those upper control are bolts on the axle side are small enough. 10mm IIRC. And leaving your life and other to rely on 1 now... Thats a BIG chance in my book.
As far as the suspension is concerned, if longarmed then there are lots of people with 3-link. In theory it can work, definitely have to make sure uptravel is limited from hitting anything.

planning an axle swap around the iron rock disaster is simply tarded. id build a real 3 link for starters.

planning an axle swap around the iron rock disaster is simply tarded. id build a real 3 link for starters.

this....

and i wouldnt waste money and time on the chevy lpd44 fronts if i was going to swap a d44 in.

Back