• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 xj evap canister connections

jrowell

NAXJA Forum User
My heep failed smog because there are supposed to be 3 hoses (according to the tester) hooked to the top of the canister, and the spot marked "purge" did not have a hose going to it. I got it home and started looking for the missing hose, and noticed the spot marked purge looks to be a solid connection... no opening for a hose. can anyone confirm this?

IMAG0552.jpg

BULL SHIT!!!!! That is complete, unadulterated, total BS!!!!!:puke:

There is no nipple on the purge port on that bottle to attach a hose to. It is OEM stock that way. Make that AH pay for your time and gas, and kick his ass for me, LOL.

And yes, it is solid, blocked on all of mine, :eek:, 89, both 87s.

I always thought it was the fresh air source for the purge cycle? But you are right, it is solid on the face, sealed off. I tried to find even a small hole with a tiny paper clip, nada, nothing, sealed tight.

Do us a favor and embarrass that idiot, by calling in his boss first, then drop the bomb on them both, and post us a video, LOL!

Just got back form the smog shop. I politly pointed out their mistake... they had to look through their books or something in the back room but quickly admitted that the tech was incorrect. They retested it at no charge. Hopefully I won't have to deal with it for another 2 years.

On a side not, my HC tested on the high side on the low speed portion of the test. I may start another thread to diagnose that if I can't find anything through the search.

Can you post all the test data here?

IMAG0553-1.jpg

As you can see, the HC and CO are up un the 15mph test, but not the 25mph test.
87 XJ. 33's, 4.88's. New Cat and 02 sensor. It's running really well, idles great, good power. Seems like MPG have gotten pretty bad (8-9 mpg... Does have a big rack on top). Not a daily driver, I try to drive it once a week.

Last edited:
Those are great write-ups. Thanks very much for taking the time to do a step by step procedure. I will have to force myself to bust out my hardly used meter and dig into those wires... after KOH...

Back