• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newer front end ?

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
I tired to search but I kept getting an error result. I'm want to change my 89 to the newer style front end. I believe it is 96 up. None of the local junkyards have any of the newer xj's. Where can I get the parts for this at a good price. From what I've seen I wll need fenders, header panel, and the grille. Am I missing any other parts such as bezzels or trim pieces? Thanks for any help

You need these parts from a 97+ Jeep:

Complete header panel
Grille
Headlights and bezels
Lighting wire harness
Both front fenders
Front bumper (Optional)
Doors (Optional)

It's easy. Finding the parts in good shape can be tough but everything can be had online at decent prices.

There's a brand new aftermarket complete header panel on ebay for $150.

My pick n pull has 10 or so late models in it. The header panels are always broken or missing tho.

Note from DJ
You might try looking for some of the parts hear.
I have never used any of these W-sites so I can’t offer any review on their reliability.
This information came from this post
Junkyards that will mail parts
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1068995
OP by montanaman 8-24-2011
Hey I live out in the middle of nowhere, and the selection of junkyards with jeep stuff around here is very slim.

Can anyone recommend a really good JY with good prices that will ship parts? I really miss being able to go to a JY and pull my own stuff.

So here's a great thread where you can post your favorite JY. Make sure the name and location are accurate, so I can find the phone number.

This search site was menschen more than once.
North America wide scrap yard search for parts
Go to www.car-part.com it's a North America wide scrap yard search.

Note from DJ
I forgot to proof read before posting. Lol!
This search site was mention more than once.
North America wide scrap yard search for parts
Go to www.car-part.com it's a North America wide scrap yard search.

You need these parts from a 97+ Jeep:

Complete header panel
Grille
Headlights and bezels
Lighting wire harness
Both front fenders
Front bumper (Optional)
Doors (Optional)

It's easy. Finding the parts in good shape can be tough but everything can be had online at decent prices.

There's a brand new aftermarket complete header panel on ebay for $150.

My pick n pull has 10 or so late models in it. The header panels are always broken or missing tho.

The signal and marker lights are different as well. They are also stupid cheap if you buy aftermarket from RockAuto or wherever.

As far as the headlight harness goes... I plan to do an upgraded harness and do the h4 conversion. Will this work or do I still need the 97 up harness. I also checked rock auto. The metal header panel was like 269 and the plastic one was like a hundred bucks. Also the grille support and header panel are they the same piece or two different pieces.

I have 97+ front on my Renix, still have original lighting harness. The minor differences between the 2 are.. The 97+ uses 2 bulbs for the turns and the connector for the side markers are slightly different. Simplest way to do this is splice in the extra pigtail/swap the newer marker connector.
I haven't done anything with these myself, as they work/look fine.

Never seen a metal header panel. The factory ones are fiberglass and that's what you want. Do NOT get an aftermarket one. Those are usually made of cheap plastic and do not fit very well.

Never seen a metal header panel. The factory ones are fiberglass and that's what you want. Do NOT get an aftermarket one. Those are usually made of cheap plastic and do not fit very well.

x10! they are flimsy and the fit is terrible.

Ok so where can I find an original one at? Dealer only? I don't want to spend a fortune. Also the ones I see at rock auto are those good parts or shitty parts? And they have 2 parts listed. Grille support and header panel. The pics look like the same part. I hate Internet shopping. Are there any jeep only wrecking yards in socal?

They look like the same part because they are; the only reason there are two listings is because Omix calls it a grille support, while everyone else calls it a header or nose panel.

If you don't want to drop a lot of money on this, and want factory parts, your only realistic option is to pull the fenders, lights, and plastics off an XJ being parted out.

I think I'm doing the same thing with my MJ but it's going to be a long time saving up parts as I'm not in a rush to fix it up....

Junk yard parts as I find them.

I wish. Anyways if I can't find the parts from a j.y. Then what is a reputable place to buy them from. The jy site that was linked a page back sucks. Their parts are as much as you can buy them new from the dealer.

i am in the middle of doing this swap right now on my 89 comanche. I hit a tree over the weekend while wheeling so I went to the local pick and pull to pick up a new front end. First cherokee I saw in the yard was a 99 that had just been put out...not a single thing missing. I snagged the entire front end and both fenders for 200 bucks.

In the 3 years I've been going to the local yards I have never seen 1 of the newer xj's.

The good yards for late model XJs are the Millikan yard in Ontario, the Pyrite yard, and the San Bernardino yard on 6th Street.

Back