• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A new stepping stone for me

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
I accepted a full time position within the Southern California Gas Company but it's up in Visalia...has anyone wheeled up there?

I have a buddy who works for the gas company. He's been there almost 30 years.
He started as a crew welder and I think he's in management. He's never had to
worry about his job and I think his retirement package is pretty good too.
Sounds like you hooked into a good gig :greensmok

Dude. Good move. Congrats.

Visailia is an awesome town if you ask me, but I do like the slower side of life. Don't know about the wheeling, but the have an awesome corn maze every halloween. :D

Congrats on the new job. I was doing some work on the Navy base in Lemoore and talking to a guy with an XJ and he said they go wheeling in Coalinga. Didnt go into the details of what kind of wheeling though.

Matt

Thats a good company. Unlike PG&E, they spend a ton of $$ on training and safety equipment for their people. No shady stuff. Ive worked for a utility for 3 years and i swear im the new guy, with these guys who have 20-30 years under their belt. Good luck!

Chip Clip- I've heard of that place before. I guess i'll have to do a little research. I wonder if there's anything in Sequoia or Yosemite...

SleeperXj-yeah, I've comitted 4 years of Part time meter reading to finally get a full time position. It was difficult but once you're in its smooth sailing.

JohnX- Thanks John! It's gonna be difficult leaving the family and adjusting to a slower lifestyle as well. No doubt! There's nothing but agriculture on the outskirts. haha

Fornstar- Thanks! It looks like i have some research to do...

SanDiegoOverland-Yeah, Socal Gas is super safety sensitive. They've instilled us with so much on the job training and safety driving. It's safe to say this company can be a career if you make it to be. I think i read once you work at SDG&E? How do you like it?

sorry but for some reason it wouldn't let me multi-quote...

Let me hook you up with one of the local Highway Patrol officers up there.
OH wait, you probably will find a way to introduce yourself anyway!

Congrats on the new gig!
Work is goooooood!

Anthony what are you doing for SoCal Gas?

Welcome to the Company. I've been with SoCalGas since June, SDG&E for almost 15 years before that. I work in downtown LA.

Visalia is about 125 miles from Dusy Ershin... I've been wanting to wheel there for the last couple years, but the trail opened pretty late the last couple years.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...l=36.536123,-118.833618&spn=3.552635,4.938354

There are supposedly a couple other very cool trails in the same area as Dusy... just can't remember their names right now.

Last summer, there was a guy named Anthony who ran the off road program for the Sierra National Forest at a ranger station near Shaver Lake. I talked with him a couple times. He's super friendly and helpful and will tell you all about the off roading options in the Sierra National Forest. 559-855-5355... ask for Anthony who runs the offroad vehicle program.

Last edited:
Skwerly- Thanks Skwerly.

InlandZj- Thanks man! I guess you could say that part of the Rubicon is in my backyard :p

Jump This- Thanks. Work thats stable is great!

Karstic- I'll be a Construction Tech- replacing pipelines, reporting to emergency
ruptured lines, mainting the valves and the street, etc..

ocean_jet- Thanks! What made you transfer from SDG&E to Socal Gas?? Do you work out of the Tower in LA or a field person? Thanks for the info on the trails up there. Once i get settled ill have to give the SNF a call.

ocean_jet- Thanks! What made you transfer from SDG&E to Socal Gas?? Do you work out of the Tower in LA or a field person? Thanks for the info on the trails up there. Once i get settled ill have to give the SNF a call.

Officially, I moved to Socal Gas because a good opportunity came up.

Unofficially, my old boss who recruited me at SDG&E, who I loved to work for, got promoted. And his replacement is a huge douche nozzle who I may have killed if I had to work for much longer. :D

I work at the Tower in LA... 555 West 5th.

Officially, I moved to Socal Gas because a good opportunity came up.

Unofficially, my old boss who recruited me at SDG&E, who I loved to work for, got promoted. And his replacement is a huge douche nozzle who I may have killed if I had to work for much longer. :D

I work at the Tower in LA... 555 West 5th.

Haha cool. If the opportunity is there, take it. SCG is a great company too.

Back