• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Bolts!

bogaski

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ. Removing the front drive shaft to replace the u-joints and one bolt (rear cardan joint) got rounded. Realized too late that I had grabbed an 8mm. Couple-o-questions. Don't they make a wrench with more grabbing points than a standard wrench? If that does not work, can anyone tell me definitively if the bolts are threaded on both sides of the joint or just on the far side? I ask because if I can then know if grinding the head off is an option. Got to admit, I thought the busted nutsert in the frame was tough to get to...I do believe this has it beat.
Thanks

In general, a six point socket or wrench will have more holding power than a 12 point. Other things to try: vice grips (as tight as you can get it), small pipe wrench, penetrating oil (PB Blaster), heat (from a torch), easy out (nut style). You can sometimes hammer a slightly smaller socket onto the fastener. If these don't work, then you'll have to destroy the fastener.

Worst comes to worst, just grind the rounded head off with a Dremel tool, then remove the remaining part of the bolt with some vice grips, once you get the holder out of the way.....

Yea, tried heating, PB Blaster, small vise grips. Saw a hint about using some paper to make the bolt snug in the wrench again. I might try it with some wet sand paper to get a bit of grip.

If I round off the head, can I just pull the drive shaft out and work on it on the bench or is the top half of the bolt threaded too?

it's only threaded into on the one side. if you ground the head off, you could pull the axle out.

Another thing to try: Sears (and Lowe's (Kobalt)) have a "bolt-out" extractor made for removing bolts with rounded heads; they have a spiral cut groove which bites into what's left of the head, and are relatively cheap ($20 for a set?). They should work fine for you, as those bolts shouldn't be very highly torqued. Good luck!

^ what he said. those bolt-outs are purpose made for this issue and actually work. Saw a set on the sale table at Lowe's the other day, almost picked 'em up just to have a second set. Saved my ass once on a stripped allen head bolt in a recessed hole - it was a 10.9 and if I'd had to drill it out I would have had to pull the whole front end of the car anyway just to get the drill motor in there - I :heart: my bolt-outs

And as someone else said, when working on rusty old stuff, always use six point wrenches and sockets as a general rule, only break out the 12 points when you really need them.

Heat with torch, quench it with the pb right in the threads . At best it will shock the rust loose, at worst it will draw the pb further in.

Well I guess at worst you could set something on fire, keep an extinguisher close by when working on jeeps

Metrinch's grab the side of the bolts and work with metric and SAE. I bought a set 10+ years ago on TV and I love them, great for junkyards. I have only broken 1 tool out of 3 kits of theirs I have. If it's really tight, I will grab my craftsmen though.

Craftsmans also have new wrenchs that work with all kinds of fasteners.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921028000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
Seem like they should work good, I've never used them though.

Thought I would give you all an update. I could not locate the suggested extraction tools at Lowes last night. Got it out though. Had a 6 sided 5/16 1/4 socket. I ground an extra allen wrench I had laying around so that it just fit in there. Gave me the grip and leverage I needed. Thanks.

Another thing to try: Sears (and Lowe's (Kobalt)) have a "bolt-out" extractor made for removing bolts with rounded heads; they have a spiral cut groove which bites into what's left of the head, and are relatively cheap ($20 for a set?). They should work fine for you, as those bolts shouldn't be very highly torqued. Good luck!
I have personally used these to remove rounded off head bolts! They will work if used right. Go ahead and buy Craftsman or some other name brand ones. I bought some harbor freight ones originally and got frustrated the 1st time I used them and immediately returned them!

Back