• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spartan vs lock right

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I am debating on a locker for my front 44. I am thinking either a lock right or a spartan. What do you guys think? My I am looking more at the performance vs road manners becaue I have hubs.

Spartan has larger pins, and is far easier to install since they integrated spring retaining pins for install and removal.

I am spartan locked front and rear, (err was..) so far so good! Make sure to check out baseline4x4 They have been the cheapest so far. With great customer service!

I've installed two lockrite's and an aussie, and they all seemed pretty much identical install. The Aussie definitely has poor road manners(I had one guy in a parking lot after turning into a space tell me that it sounded like I had a ujoint or a cv axle going out), but I like it's performance over the lockrite. don't get me wrong, both worked great, but I just like the Aussie a little better.

Having installed both genuine Powertrax Lock-Rights and Yukon Spartans, the Lock-Right wins hands down!
The spartan fit and finish is just not there compared to the lock-right. Heck, I even had to remove burs from the pin holes to get the darn thing to even assemble. I know I've read other accounts of this happening to others as well.

Dropped down, not sitting in correctly:
100_5379.jpg

How it is supposed to sit:
100_5380.jpg

Last edited:
No problems here with my spartan. Has been great over 30k miles.

Love the lockright in my dana 44 rear. I only paid 240 though. Its rachetty and noisy at times, but what do you expect.

Having installed both genuine Powertrax Lock-Rights and Yukon Spartans, the Lock-Right wins hands down!

This. Bill's first hand experience with both of these lockers in 60's convinced me to spend the extra $20 and get a tried & true proven Lockright for my 60. A lockright is pretty much the only lunchbox locker id buy, except for maybe the no-slips, those are nice too but not as available.

The spartan fit and finish is just not there compared to the lock-right. Heck, I even had to remove burs from the pin holes to get the darn thing to even assemble. I know I've read other accounts of this happening to others as well.

Thank god your father came down and fixed that for us :laugh: I did not want to be the one to remove all of that shit for an hour and a half.

That being said, a lot of people have had good luck with them. I wouldn't personally try a Spartan again, but it's all up to the OP.

My Spartan hasn't given me an issue other than with the install above. For clarification, Bill (RCMan) was posting about my Spartan locker in my front D60.

iv heard people say that the lockrite lockers teeth r smaller then the spartan and the aussie are and they round off easy and that the locker its self is smaller then others and they just feel cheaper made

all the sites chosen, the 8.25 is a hard axel to find lockers for.......i found an auburn one for 400 and my other choice was a spartan for 300......dont know which one to go for now

all the sites chosen, the 8.25 is a hard axel to find lockers for.......i found an auburn one for 400 and my other choice was a spartan for 300......dont know which one to go for now

Aussie hands down, ran one in the last rig and it worked flawless, never banged or popped and was invisible cept for the normal racheting

to the op id go with the tried and true lockrite, ran one in my last d30 and got one in my frt 60, both are awsome with zero issues

I have a Spartan in the front of my Jeep and it works great off road. On the road I can't even tell it's there. If I didn't assist with the install I would think that it never got installed.

Back