• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dust slinger on Alloy USA shaft... not happening

Monster Mopar

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing a set of alloy stub shafts and I went to put on the new dust slinger (shield) and it's loose fitting on the stub shaft, but it fits in the seal that's on the back of the hub just fine. Now since the stubs are listed for the tj and yj I looked up a part number for a dust slinger for those vehicles and as expected it was the same number as the xj. I'm at a loss.

I'm replacing old unknown brand chromo shafts (I think they were prototype yukons honestly) and the new dust slinger doesn't fit them either. However, there was a dust slinger on the old stubs, which are beat to hell, from a combination of me beating them off with a hammer (I assumed I wouldn't have a problem sourcing new ones) and one of my hubs failing.

Has anyone dealt with this when installing a set of aftermarket shafts? Not sure what I should do. Does anyone know a source for a dust slinger that will fit? What about leaving them off entirely? It appears my new Timken hubs use sealed bearings

I have alloy tube seals.... I'm talking about the dust slinger (as called in the parts manual) that installs on the stub shaft, not the main axle shaft, and seals on the back side of the hub to protect the hub bearings from the elements.

Well I just got off the phone with Alloy USA and they were less than helpfull. The guy I spoke to says I'm the first to call in asking about it???? Seems doubtful.... He told me to go to a machine shop and have it custom made :gee: I have a better I idea, how about they offer better aftermarket support.

Went back to the dealer and had a long chat with the parts guy and we looked up a bunch of different applications and it appears newer models did not have the dust slinger, or any other sort of seal. Our best guess was because the hubs started using sealed bearings making the dust slinger and associated seal no longer necessary... So I'm heavily considering leaving it off now.

Can any one else confirm RoyalXJ's opinion that they're not needed?

--No offence RoyalXJ just looking to get more opinions.

Can anyone confirm that the early model xj's (renix era) did not use sealed bearings on the hub, especially the back (inboard) side?

I don't know the answer to that, but I do know I've seen many TJ axles which are the same stub come from the factory with the slingers on with the flange on the inboard side which renders them useless at doing any thing as far as protection.

Like everyone has said, I don't even bother to install them.

Back